Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei attended and addressed an Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Air Force exhibition. Khamenei said in his remarks:
- “I have always been and still am supportive of innovation in foreign policy and negotiations. My perennial advice to officials has been to utilize all efforts and innovations in foreign policy and international exchanges.”
- “…the country’s needs and some matters such as sanctions should not be tied to negotiations…Officials must pursue the matter of sanctions through other means.”
- “They are expecting to limit Iran’s missile program when they are constantly making military threats against Iran. Such an expectation, therefore, is idiotic and foolish.”
- The IRGC Air Force unveiled its latest weapons systems during the exhibition:
- IRGC officials claimed that the “Third of Khordad” missile system rivals the Russian S-300 system. Developed by the IRGC Radar Defense Research Center, officials said it is capable of engaging four targets simultaneously and firing eight “Taer” missiles at a vertical range of 25 kilometers.
- The latest models of the “Khalij-e Fars” anti-destroyer ballistic missiles “Hormoz 1” and “Hormoz 2” were unveiled; no further details were released about these models. IRGC Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Salami said they were “one of the most unique and most important Iranian missiles, designed by Iran’s now-deceased missile program chief Gen. Hassan Tehrani Moghaddam.
- The newly developed “Ya Ali” cruise missile is said to have an effective target range of 700 kilometers.
- The surface-to-surface solid-fuel “Zelzal” missile has thirty 17 kilogram bombs and a range of 300 kilometers.
IRGC Navy Commander Brig. Gen. Ali Fadavi announced that his forces have stationed drones in the Strait of Hormuz: “We have established drone bases in the east, west, and north of [the Strait], conducting constant flights over the area as well as north of the Persian Gulf.”
- The IRGC Air Force unveiled what it claimed was the first domestically produced version of the RQ-170 US drone. Officials said they had “captured” the drone in 2011.
President Hassan Rouhani spoke at an Atomic Energy Organization of Iran ceremony in Tehran. Rouhani claimed that Iran has never pursued any covert nuclear activities:
- “Their claim that Iran has had secret activities is a lie. If wanted to be secretive, we wouldn’t purchase centrifuges at global markets.”
- “All Westerners, easterners and the [P5+1] should know that we will not retreat a single step in the field of nuclear energy and we will not accept nuclear apartheid.”
- Legal and International Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced that talks between Iran and the P5+1 will begin on May 14 in Vienna. Araghchi added “In the new round of the negotiations, we will hold talks about all issues in order to reach agreements on previous discussions.”
Ayatollah Khamenei met with Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in Tehran to discuss the need for security cooperation. Khamenei said “…the great opportunity for the expansion of ties between the two countries should not be missed.” Khamenei added:
- “If Takfiri groups are not confronted, they will inflict more damage on the Muslim world.”
- President Rouhani also met with Prime Minister Sharif. During the meeting both sides talked about resuming the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project and enhancing border security.
- Economy and Finance Minister Ali Tayebnia announced that the volume of trade between Iran and Pakistan could reach $5 billion in the near future.
Iran’s Ambassador to Iraq Baghdad Hassan Danaeifar held two separate meetings with former Iraqi Vice President Adel Abdul Mahdi and head of the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq Ammar al Hakim to discuss advancing relations between Iran and Iraq.
- Ali Tayebnia also announced the total value of trade between Iran and Iraq surpassed $12 billion this past year, with non-oil trade valued at $6 billion. Tayebnia said “There is no limitation to expand relations with neighboring countries, especially Iraq, in the foreign policy of the Islamic Republic of Iran.”
- Head of the Passive Defense Organization IRGC Brig. Gen. Gholam Reza Jalili discussed offensive and defensive cyber security at the Second National Cyber Defense Conference held at the Imam Hossein University in Tehran. Jalili stressed the need for enhanced technical literature in the cyber field and encouraged greater focus on it, He added:
- “America has declared cyber war against Iran when they conducted a cyber-attack on Natanz.”
- “Cyberspace is the fifth battlefield of war. The other four areas of war: land, air, sea, and space will be affected by the cyber.”
- Senior Military Advisor to the Supreme Leader IRGC Maj. Gen. Yahya Rahim Safavi told attendees at Khamenei’s Defensive Thoughts Conference that “the most important threats that can threaten, change, and overthrow the political system and endanger national security” are “environmental semi-soft, soft, and cyber warfare threats.”