Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s website published an information graphic with the six red lines of the nuclear negotiations after meeting with Atomic Energy Organization of Iran personnel on April 9:
- 1. Nuclear scientific movement must not cease or slow down whatsoever.
- 2. Iranian negotiators must insist on continuing nuclear research, expansion, and progress.
- 3. No one has the right to bargain regarding nuclear achievements, and no one will do this.
- 4. Officials must have prejudice regarding nuclear achievements.
- 5. Our country’s negotiators must not allow any bullying from the opposing side.
- 6. Relations between the International Atomic Energy Agency and Iran must be standardized and non-extraordinary.
Military and Security
- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Forces Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Esmail Gha’ani discussed nuclear negotiations and Iranian support for militants in Gaza:
- “If we have criticism and debate in the nuclear negotiations it is not related to America. We tell our friends that we must implement jihadi culture in the negotiations and [they must not] prevent themselves from implementing this culture in the negotiations.”
- “America is too small to cause difficulties for us in the nuclear matter. God willing, God will cause these negotiations to result in greatness. But we tell our friends and make recommendations. They also rely on placing hope in God.”
- “The Imam [Khomeini] did not consider his limitations to the Islamic Republic’s territorial geography from the day he established this system. His view was global and the Supreme Leader shares this view.”
- “If this revolution were able to preserve itself and train others it is because the path of martyrdom is teachable and transferable.”
- “The most honorable era of the Palestinian boys’ fighting is when they fought within our doctrine of martyrdom. This is clear in comparing their advancements during their first 40 years of resistance with the past 20 years. When these boys took inspiration from the revolution’s strong thinking, they were able to take strong steps, of which there is strong evidence.”
- “The culture of fighting has caused victory in the Gaza territory, which has been absolutely surrounded for the past four years. A large part of the missiles that they fire are built by themselves and are produced on Gaza's soil.”
- Armed Forces General Staff Headquarters Chief Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi welcomed the recent meetings between the heads of Iran and the Azerbaijan Republic, adding “The Azerbaijan Republic secures parts of its needs from Iran’s defense industry.”
- Ten thousand Greater Tehran Basij members will participate in the Ala Beitol Moghaddas [Towards Jerusalem] “cultural” drill throughout all 22 areas of Greater Tehran on April 24 and 25. IRGC Mohammad Rasoulollah Unit (Greater Tehran) Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Ahmad Zolghadr will lead the drill, in the formation of 48 battalions and five divisions.
- Artesh Khatam ol-Anbia Air Defense Commander Brig. Gen. Farzad Esmaili provided details on the Rased 32 system, which can “send data on the direction, height and speed of flying objects within a radius of more than 15 kilometers to control centers.” Esmaili added that the product comes after the Supreme Leader’s “special emphasis” on monitoring networks.
- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif attended the inauguration of the Second Supreme Joint Islamic Republic of Iran and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Commission in Abu Dhabi and met with UAE Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashed. The two sides discussed nuclear negotiations and expansion of bilateral relations.
- Zarif: “Iran’s nuclear negotiations are not against any side and the results of any agreement will be beneficial to the entire region.”
- Rashed, according to Iranian state media, said: “We are pleased with the results of the supreme commission meeting and encourage its implementation. We believe that Iran’s nuclear agreement is for the benefit of the entire region. The Islamic Republic of Iran has an important place in the region. Therefore, attention to relations with neighbors, especially with the Islamic Republic of Iran, is our priority.”
- Egypt summoned the Head of the Interest Section of the Islamic Republic of Iran in Cairo, Mojtaba Amani, earlier. After meeting with Egyptian Deputy Foreign Minister Ahmad Esmail, however, Amani said “I did not feel that this meeting was a summons in nature. We reviewed ways of expanding cooperation between the two countries.”
Photo of the Day
- President Hassan Rouhani on his provincial trips to Sistan va Baluchestan province.