Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, addressed employees of the MAPNA Group, which is involved in the construction and installation of energy infrastructure. He praised Iranian scientists’ self-sufficient production of 20% enriched uranium and said “The illogical behavior of the world’s bullies towards the Islamic Republic is a function of our strength and weakness. They are forced to confront us politely and rationally anytime we stand on our own feet and become stronger. Attention to this reality is the key to solving all of the country’s problems.”
- Khamenei also spoke about the symbiotic nature of economic and cultural growth, and emphasized that knowledge-based companies are essential to “resistance economy” policies.
- Head of Armed Forces General Staff Headquarters Defense Research Center and former Defense Minister Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi spoke about the "revolutionary" and expansionist vision of the Islamic Republic in an address to IRGC Imam Hossein Officer and Guardianship Training University cadets:
- “When we say that ‘we must build the world,’ this means the exportation of the revolution. It means that we must build the world based on doctrine and Islamic Revolution teachings.”
- “Those who say ‘return to the international community’ mean that we must set aside our revolutionary, anti-oppression, independence-seeking, and anti-Arrogance [anti-West] identities and our efforts in expanding revolutionary and Islamic thought.”
- “Today we see that the enemies have been unable to predict any of the world’s events. They thought that the seditions of  and  would yield results. The enemies in the international dimension have been unable to predict Syria’s future. America’s greatest weakness is its inability to predict the future.”
- Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Deputy Akbar Kamijani announced that $2.55 billion unfrozen under the Joint Plan of Action has been deposited into CBI’s account and “the 4th and 5th installments have been released and measures are taking place to deposit them into the CBI’s account.” Of the amount released, he said that Iran had spent $220-230 million thus far on importing food, medicine, currency for vehicle imports.
- IRGC Navy Forces Commander Brig. Gen. Ali Fadavi announced the integration of the Ashura fast boat with floating training simulators. The simulators are 10 meters in length.
- IRGC Cooperative Foundation Managing Director Parviz Fattah, who said he founded the IRGC Khatam ol-Anbia Construction Base, defended the IRGC’s participation in the economy, saying that it has only replaced foreign contractors and that “what we say is that the foreigners should not get their foot in the country’s door.”
- Fattah touted the IRGC’s role in developing phases 15 and 16 of the South Pars gas field.
- He claimed that the country’s oil industry has indigenized to a great extent.
- Fattah added that IRGC’s capacities are available to President Rouhani: “It seems that with all the unemployment and other domestic issues, the more officials use domestic capacity and especially [IRGC forces], the more officials and the system will benefit.”
- Deputy Communication and Information Technology Minister and Information Technology Organization of Iran Head Nasrollah Jahangard announced that 20 provinces will be equipped with data center services. He highlighted the widespread use of the Internet in Iran by noting that 85% of the population had signed up to receive subsidy reform-related cash handouts online.
- Supreme Virtual Space Council secretary Mohammad Hassan Entezari announced that Iran will present “a road map to prevent America’s control of the internet” at the upcoming Future Internet Governance international conference in Brazil.