Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei addressed officer candidates at the Imam Hossein University in Tehran. He said that the younger generation is committed to the ideals of the revolution and they it is the future for the formation of an “Islamic civilization.”
- “[Iran] has proven capabilities in different domains and it has proven that it is possible to make scientific and social progress, while gaining international influence without relying on America.”
- “The Iranian nation has chosen the right path and it will continue on its path and the majority of the world is with this nation.”
- “They [West] are trying through pretext and pressure to dissuade the Iranian nation from resistance, but this will never happen.”
- IRGC Imam Hossein University Commander Brig. Gen. Mohamamd Reza Hassani Ahangar issued a statement expressing his condolences for the passing of university founder and its first commander Mehdi Mousavi Zare.
Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Ali Akbar Salehi spoke at the inauguration ceremony of Iran’s first multipurpose gamma radiation system in Bonab, in East Azerbaijan province. Salehi discussed the nuclear talks and said:
- “If negotiations do not reach a final agreement, nothing will happen…Iran enjoys a high international status; the West has no option but to interact with Iran.”
- “There is no need for concern [regarding the P5+1 talks, because] the Supreme Leader carefully monitors the framework of the nuclear issue.”
- Salehi and International and Legal Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran’s “defense systems” are not negotiable and will not be part of discussions with the P5+1.
- Rouhani administration spokesman Mohammad Bagher Nobakht praised the efforts of the IRGC in the construction arena, but added that “We do not want the IRGC to compete with the private sector.”
- President Hassan Rouhani met with Russian President Vladimir Putin during the fourth summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) in Shanghai, China. Rouhani stated: “Developing relations between Iran and Russia will not only benefit the two countries, but all nations in the region.”
- Rouhani also met with his Kazakh and Sri Lankan counterparts on the sidelines of the summit.
- The Algerian Embassy in Iran announced that Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif will travel to Algeria for the Non-Aligned Foreign Ministers Conference that will take place from the May 26 to May 30.
Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Salami, addressed the 20th National IRGC Political Guidance Conference and discussed the “Islamic Awakening”:
- “The Islamic Revolution changed the distribution of power in the world. The reason for this was that our revolution was the phenomenon of a civilization.”
- “This Islamic Awakening in the world of Islam will cut the influence and breathing of the West day by day.”
- “Syria is a competition between the models of divinity and non-divinity…We see in Syrian developments that without a physical presence, rather by transferring models and inspirations, a system can stand against the entire world. It is this divine tradition that has continuously led to the victory of the faithful in combat with the infidels.”
- Judiciary Head Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli Larijani stated “Those who do not accept the poison atmosphere of the virtual space do not know these environments. Security holes and spy equipment are related with our national security through such internet and telephone communication.”