Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
An editorial in the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps’ (IRGC) weekly publication sobh-e sadegh outlined the seven duties of the IRGC:
- 1. Aiding in the affairs of enforcement, security, control, pursuit, and arrest of anti-revolutionary elements
- 2. Armed fighting against armed anti-revolutionary currents
- 3. Defending against the attacks and occupation of foreigners and their domestic elements
- 4. Effective coordination and cooperation with the armed forces
- 5. Aid in the implementation of the orders of the Supreme Leader and the Islamic Republic government’s prosecution
- 6. Supporting freedom and righteous seeking movements under the Supreme Leader’s supervision
- 7. Aiding in the advancement of civil projects
- IRGC Hazrat-e Seyyed ol-Shohada Unit (Tehran Province) Commander Brig. Gen. Ali Nasiri defended the IRGC’s role in the economy and said “The IRGC has appropriately planned for all sectors of the population across the country and has taken valuable measures in the construction arena.” Separately, IRGC Khatam ol-Anbia Base Kowsar Ghorb Commander Brig. Gen. Ziaeddin Hazani touted the IRGC’s involvement in development and health projects.
- US-sanctioned Pasargad and Tejarat banks have received permits from Ankara to open branches in Turkey.
- Iran Gas Engineering and Development Company Managing Director Ali Reza Qaribi announced that a natural gas pipeline to Iraq (presently at 75% completion) will be operationalized within the next four months.
- Judiciary Branch Head Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli Larijani denied recent reports of abuse in Evin Prison and announced “I have issued an order to Tehran and national Chief Prosecutors to stand against any publication of lies and disruptions in national security, so all will know that Iran’s Islamic system is not militaristic for it to excite against the empty excuses of seditionists, saboteurs, and their supporters. If they have shown any tolerance against them, then from now on they will no longer show any tolerance whatsoever.”
- Judiciary Branch Head Ayatollah Larijani appointed former Head of the Judiciary Branch Special Inspectorate Office Asqar Jahangir Head of the Prisons Organization. This marks Jahangir’s third appointment in two years: Larijani appointed Jahangir to his former post on August 26, 2013, after appointing him Judiciary Branch Special Inspector on May 13, 2012.
- Senior Foreign Policy Advisor to the Supreme Leader Ali Akbar Velayati and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif met with Lithuanian Foreign Minister Edgar Rinkevich in Tehran and discussed bilateral relations, nuclear negotiations, and international events. Foreign Minister Zarif expressed his optimism regarding the nuclear negotiations at a joint press briefing with his Lithuanian counterpart.