Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Hojjat al-Eslam Ali Saidi discussed the IRGC’s role in Syria, “cultural invasion,” armed forces media outlets, and Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari’s controversial remarks on the post-2009 election protests:
- "Our spiritual front line is Syria. If this line breaks our security will face problems. For this reason, our defense of Syria is vital to our security, strategic, and political interests."
- "The mission of the armed forces has not decreased despite a lower budget. This demonstrates that many obstacles can be overcome by relying on internal forces and with jihadi management."
- "Some media outlets that are affiliated with the IRGC, such as Fars News Agency, must observe the universality of news. What I think Armed Forces General Staff Chief [Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi] stated was that observations and criticism in the news must be accurate and appropriate...lack of precision will cause us to pay unnecessary costs." [see Iran News Round Up May 19, 2014].
- Saidi responded to a leaked video of IRGC Commander Maj. Gen. Jafari discussing the IRGC’s role in the 2009 election: "Anyone can have different interpretations regarding the intention and goal of the speaker when anyone says something. Paying attention to them is therefore unnecessary, because cutting before and after a sentence cannot communicate the meaning of the speaker."
- Saidi thanked the efforts of outgoing Representative of the Supreme Leader to the IRGC’s Hazarat-e Seyyed ol-Shohada Unit (Tehran Province) Hojjat al-Eslam Nematollah Fakhri and introduced his replacement Hojjat al-Eslam Mokhtar Nazri.
- Nazri was previously the Supreme Leader's Representative to the IRGC’s Karbala Unit (Mazandaran Province).
- Ceremony attendees included IRGC Hazrat-e Seyyed ol-Shohada Unit Commander Brig. Gen. Ali Nasiri.
- International and Legal Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Deputy Foreign Minister for European and American Affairs Majid Takht Ravanchi resumed the second day of nuclear negotiations with US officials in Geneva.
- Iran is scheduled to hold bilateral talks with France on June 10 and with Germany on June 15.
- Armed Forces General Staff (AFGS) Chief Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi said the destruction of the Islamic Republic by external forces is not possible. He also announced that there is a new head of the AFGS Counter Intelligence department, but did not identify him by name:
- "The Americans today have confessed and accept that America has kneeled to Iran."
- "The Islamic Revolution has been exported to various cultures and countries with various models, and its effects have become visible. They thought one day that war with the Islamic Republic of Iran could take place like Iraq and Afghanistan. However, they know today that a war with [Iran] will engulf the globe; therefore they must destroy our power from within."
- "Today the culture of the Islamic Revolution is also threatened, in addition to the strength of military and equipment, doctrines, and tactics that were the enemy's targets for espionage. Psychological operations and cyber network are also considered targets. We must know the enemy's strategy."
- "The Supreme Leader also states that standing against righteousness and the law is sedition. The Americans are constantly seeking to spread sedition. They intend for individuals to emerge within the Islamic Republic of Iran who will stand against the Islamic Republic.”
- Iraqi MP Qassem al Araji posted an undated picture of himself with IRGC Quds Force Commander Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani in Iraq.
- IRGC Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Salami spoke at a ceremony for outgoing IRGC commanders and their successors in Kermanshah Province. He warned the commanders of the great Islamic battle that must be fought against a “myriad of enemies during a time of increasing difficulties for the Iranian people,” as a result of the economic sanctions and global pressures.
Ministry of Intelligence and Security's (MOIS) Kerman Office Director "Jabbari" urged "all investors" to "come and invest in Kerman without any concerns." He added: "This directorate will confront any economic currents that seek to take advantage of the investing environment and create systematic corruption."
- "Jabbari" also announced "the death of 15 armed drug traffickers with suspected links to the terrorist group [Jundollah]."
- Asian and Pacific Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Ibrahim Rahimpour announced that Iran will host the 37th Caspian Sea Legal Regime Conference on June 21-22, with delegates from Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan expected to attend.