Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei addressed officials from the Academic Center for Education, Culture and Research in Tehran and said:
- “Individuals who moved with sharp revolutionary motivation have now changed their views by 180 degrees, and the meaning of the Revolution is incomprehensible to them and we must be vigilant so these characteristics do not penetrate the University’s Jihad complex.”
- “The revolutionary path of University Jihad must be preserved. It must not be allowed for this important scientific center to be influenced by the political maze of ‘leftists’ and ‘right-wingers.’”
- “The production of destructive atomic bombs, is one hundred percent against humanity.”
- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Deputy Commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Salami discussed the IRGC’s doctrine, relations with the Rouhani administration, missile deterrence, the IRGC’s role in implementing Khamenei’s “economy of resistance,” the recent Syrian presidential elections, and Iran’s rising power in an interview with official IRGC media outlet Sepah News:
- “The experience of the IRGC in disrupting the enemy has caused it to transform into a power-making model against the West in other lands…The IRGC’s logic of resistance, and its experience in presenting the weak-in-appearance force against a strong force combat doctrine, has become the dynamic engine of Muslims for the gradual disintegration of the political, military, and economic forces of the Dominant System.”
- “They know that the IRGC today has reached such a degree of deterrence capability, where it is capable of striking the essential interests and bases of the enemy in the region at any time...The IRGC is self-sufficient in air defense, there was a time when we needed other countries, but they—I do not want to name them—preferred their interests over their agreement and did not give us the systems that they should have. However, our youth were able to build a similar and better design domestically.”
- “The [Rouhani] administration is supported by the IRGC, because this is the administration of the Islamic Republic of Iran.”
- “In the area of ‘economy of resistance’ the IRGC can have a strong partnership role in completing the policies, which is an opportunity for the administration.”
- “[Syrian presidential elections] show that security is in the hands of the [Assad] government in most of Syria’s sensitive and vital areas. Terrorist groups are also limited in movement; you see the effects of this defeat in the internal schism of terrorists and also their foreign supporters.”
- According to the Central Bank of Iran, since August 2013 the inflation rate has decreased by 9.8 percent.
- Iran, the US and the EU began a two-day meeting in Geneva earlier today. The head of the Iranian delegation, International and Legal Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, expressed hope to address “the entirety of details” for the upcoming June 16-20 negotiations. Araghchi added that if a final nuclear agreement was not reached “[then] we will have no choice but to renew the [Joint Plan of Action (JPA)] for another six months. It is still too early to judge whether we need to renew the JPA or not. It is still hoped that we can achieve a comprehensive agreement by [July 20].”
- Iran is scheduled to hold bilateral negotiations with the US this week and will meet separately with Russian officials in Italy.
- Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi announced that AEOI officials and Iran’s negotiations team will meet to discuss the agenda for the upcoming talks with the P5+1 on June 16-20. Subjects of discussion included the “Arak heavy water reactor, level of enrichment, and other matters.”
- Islamic Motalefeh Party Central Council member Hamid Reza Taraghi said bilateral negotiations with the US are “the best strategy for advancing future negotiations…[as] all the Westerners are affected by America to an extent. The problem must be resolved with this side.”
- Armed Forces General Staff (AFGS) Headquarters Basij Affairs and Defense Culture Deputy IRGC Brig. Gen. Massoud Jazayeri commented on the recent warning of AFGS Headquarters Chief Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi to media outlets affiliated with the armed forces regarding “baseless” criticism of the Rouhani administration [See Iran News Round Up May 19, 2014]:
- “Some are attempting to portray this as ‘the positions of armed forces media outlets are against the existing administration.’ This interpretation is incorrect.”
- “We must all strive for media measures to advance within the system’s framework. We must pay attention that the Great Satan, meaning America, is the main enemy. Therefore, the position of our media must be against the enemies.”
- President Hassan Rouhani met with his Turkish counterpart Abdullah Gul in Ankara. They signed ten agreements during the meeting and also discussed expanding banking sector relations. Rouhani said “Turkey has a special place among Iran’s neighbors” and that “Calculations show that we can increase the volume of our relations to $30 billion per year…”
- In a letter, 42 MPs accused the Rouhani administration of "threatening" and "weakening" the Islamic Republic's national security regarding the nuclear program, relations with US, cultural policy, and the 2009 post-election protests and summoned Intelligence Minister Hojjat al-Eslam Mohammad Alavi.
- Judiciary Branch Spokesman Hojjat al-Eslam Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejei announced the indictment of 27 “individuals who were pursued following the [2009 post-election] sedition…Sentences were issued for 13 of these 27 individuals. Absentia sentences have been issued for 3 to 4 individuals and have been announced through the media. The rest are announced in media advertisement and can come and defend themselves.”
IRGC Commander Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari visited the ailing Assembly of Experts Head Ayatollah Mohammad Reza Mahdavi Kani yesterday. Jafari praised the “highly valuable existence of Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani for the revolution and the Islamic system.”
- Chief of Staff to Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani, Hojjat al-Eslam Mostafa Mir Lohi, announced “Earlier this morning, one of our friends in Lebanon sent a message from [Lebanese Hezbollah Secretary] who has given his regards and has held a prayer meeting for the health of Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani.”
- Arab and African Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Amir Abdollahian attended Egyptian President-elect Abdel Fattah al-Sisi’s inauguration ceremony in Cairo.