Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- President Hassan Rouhani spoke about nuclear talks at a gathering of veterans and appointed officials in IIam province. He addressed criticism of negotiations:
- “The administration and the brave [negotiators] have the support of the Supreme Leader and the nation in nuclear talks.”
- “The world today is forced to accept that the only way to deal with Iran is interaction; this nation does not bow to pressure and sanctions.”
- “The [West] should pursue the path of logic, dialogue, and negotiations, because they do not have any other rational choice.”
- Legal and International Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in an exclusive interview with The Guardian stressed Iran’s “very serious” interest to reach a deal, but warned of the potential threats that could compromise negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 and said:
- “There are spoilers everywhere who don’t want an agreement; there dark forces that don’t like this process…”
- “I don’t want to use the word ‘warmongers’ but these people want continuing tension, a continuing crisis in our region. They don’t want the sanctions on Iran to be lifted; they don’t want Iran to be a major player in this region, although in fact, it already is.”
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission Chairman MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi announced that the final framework of the nuclear talks would be issued by the Supreme Leader. Borourjedi added “The committee is one of the rings of a chain of observers and the last ring which issues the framework of the negotiations would be set by [Khamenei].”
- Iran’s ambassador to Russia Mehdi Senaei announced a proposal for a joint Iran-Russia financial firm to “facilitate trade exchanges and improve the level of financial services.”
- The Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (ISIL) threatened to assassinate Iraq-based Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani. In an issued statement the ISIL said “At present the Shiite religious leader in Iraq is a person named Ali Sistani who is a remnant of the Safavid generation. We warn all Shiites that Sistani should leave Iraq, otherwise, we will kill him.”
- Defense Minister Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Brig. Gen. HosseinDehghan met with Vice Chairman of China’s Central Military Commission Fan Changlong in Beijing to discuss enhancing military and security cooperation.
- Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri met with Belarusian ambassador Rybak Viktor to voice his dissatisfaction with reduced trade between Iran and Belarus over the past two years. Jahangiri stressed the need for Tehran and Minsk to pave the way for comprehensive trade relations in all sectors.