Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- President Hassan Rouhani addressed a gathering in Tehran commemorating the 25thNational Workers Festival and spoke about improving job security, facilitating production, and doubling the country’s bandwidth. Rouhani also said that his administration is determined to “break all sanctions.”
- Former Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Brig. Gen. Hossein Hamedani addressed a gathering of Gilan province Basij members to discuss the fraternal bond between Iran and Syria: “Syria was the first country to recognize the victory of our Revolution.” Hamedani continued to underline the importance of supporting Syria, stating:
- “We support Hezbollah through Syria, the Islamic Republic should not have to hide its support for Syria; they are facing a proxy war against terrorists.”
- Hamedani also urged the regime to “forestall the enemy’s minefield directed at the Islamic Republic.” adding, “Increasing awareness in society, not missiles and military equipment, are the ways to confront the enemy.”
- Foreign Ministry Political and International Director Hamid Baidinejad addressed a Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty preparatory conference in New York, arguing that parties to the treaty should not face obstacles to exercising their “inalienable right” and that “Industrial countries in particular are obliged to facilitate the implementation of the right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes for all countries.”
- Deputy Foreign Minister for European and American Affairs Majid Takht Ravanchi discussed the upcoming Iran and P5+1 talks during a meeting with the head of the Romania-Iran Parliamentary Friendship Group Surin Stefan Rushka Stansko. Ravanchi said that Iran’s approach will be aimed at reaching a final agreement “based on a win-win principle.”
- Lebanese Hezbollah (LH) buried a member, Abbas Samir Taghesh AKA Abu Fazel, who was killed in Syria. The head of the LH parliamentary faction, the representative for LH in southern Lebanon, and other officials attended the funeral.
- Secretary General of Hezbollah Hassan Nasrallah sent a delegation to Iran to meet with the governor of Qom province, urging him to "control" some satellite networks that are fed through Qom. Nasrallah said such activist networks create “problems” for him.