Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
President Hassan Rouhani discussed Iran-US relations in an interview with a Chinese media outlet:
- “If America does indeed turn away from hostilities and compensates for its past, then a new situation is foreseeable in the future.”
- “The Iranian people have suffered as a result of hostile policies by the United States.”
- “Only if the rights of the Iranians are respected can we hope for a dialogue between the two countries.”
- President Rouhani met with his Chinese counterpart in Shanghai.
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission member and former Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Brig. Gen. Mohammad Esmail Kowsari addressed the subject of Iran’s missile program and nuclear talks:
- “Today the West insists on limiting the range of our missiles to 500 kilometers to ensure the security of Israel.”
- “An important issue in [the P5+1 talks] is the dichotomy of Western words, and this dichotomy is visible in several parts.”
- “Four years ago we wrote to the [IAEA] announcing that the Tehran research reactor needed 20 percent enriched uranium for medicinal purposes…The agency requested that Russia, France, and America provide the requested enriched fuel to us and despite the agencies request the fuel was not provided.”
- “America said that Brazil would provide the 20 percent enriched uranium in via Turkey in exchange for 1200 kilograms of 3.5 percent enriched fuel from us… [However] the Supreme Leader said if they were forthright about this deal then America would not play such games.”
- Rouhani administration Spokesman Mohammad Bagher Nobakht said “We do not want the IRGC to compete with the private sector, but the IRGC must do the big works that are outside the private sector’s ability. We will give these projects to the armed forces, especially [IRGC] Khatam ol-Anbia Construction Base.”
MP Ali Motahari criticized the house arrest of 2009 presidential candidates Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi without a trial.
- “The Supreme National Security Council does not have the authority to make such arrests except in cases of emergencies, but these people (Mousavi and Karoubi) can only be placed on three and a half years house arrest by a court with the proper authority.”
- Iran’s Permanent Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors Reza Najafi announced that Iran has agreed to five new practical measures for cooperation following a meeting in Tehran with IAEA deputy director general Tero Vajoranta. Najafi added that “Three measures are related to current topics and two practical measures are about past issues.”
Tehran mayor and former IRGC commander Brig. Gen. Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf echoed Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s message of culture and economy:
- “We must accompany the administration in achieving the goals of the revolution; because this is the desire of the supreme leadership and takes the system to its goal.”
- “The subject of Jihad management is not limited to the past 93 years, but relates to Shia culture. It is important and foundational to our lives.”
Head of IRGC Public Affairs Brig. Gen. 2C Ramezan Sharif announced “The Zionist regime truly fears confrontation with the likes of Iran.”
- “That the enemy is making a lot of noise shows that they are not able to do anything.”
- “A few years ago the Zionist regime bombed nuclear installations in Iraq and Syria that they felt were suspicious, and there were no protests in the international community.”
- Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian met with his Qatari counterpart Deputy Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdullah Al Rumaihi at the second session of the Joint Political Committee. Abdollahian said “Holding the second meeting at the designated time shows the seriousness of the two sides in increasing relations at the bilateral and regional level.”
- Former Iranian Ambassador to Lebanon Qazanfar Rokn Abadi met Lebanese Foreign Minister Gebron Bassil and said “The Islamic Republic of Iran has supported Lebanon’s security and stability and hopes that various Lebanese political movements can achieve an agreement in this regard in the speediest amount of time.”
National Iranian Oil Company Managing Director Rokneddin Javadi stated “The joint Southern Azadegan field will develop with domestic instead of Chinese companies.”
- “After giving repeated reminders, interpretations, and even a written notice in the early winter of last year to the Chinese contractor Chinese National Petroleum Corporation International (CPNCI) to progress the project, the contractor failed to act effectively.”