Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Senior Iranian officials visited the head of the Assembly of Experts, Ayatollah Mohammad Reza Mahdavi Kani, who was hospitalized yesterday due to heart failure. The head of his medical team said that his condition “is very serious and concerning” as the lack of blood flow has caused “serious damage” to his brain, making his situation “unpredictable.”
- The following individuals reportedly visited Mahdavi Kani: Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, President Hassan Rouhani, Head of the Expediency Discernment Council (EDC) Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, Head of the Basij Organization Mohammad Reza Naghdi, EDC Secretary and former Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Commander Mohsen Rezaei, Head of the Law Enforcement Forces Strategic Center Brig. Gen. Ahmad Reza Radan, grandson of Ayatollah Khomeini Hojjat al-Eslam Hassan Khomeini, and Tehran Interim Friday Prayer Leader and Assembly of Experts member Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami.
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission Chairman and MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus to congratulate him:
- “The Syrian people’s will overpowered America’s…This is the fruit of the Syrian people’s three years of resistance.”
- “All impartial foreign observers described this election as free and in a calm atmosphere. The Syrian people picked [Assad] with an overwhelming [88.7 percent] of votes.”
- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani called his Syrian counterpart Mohammad Jahad Al-Lahm to extend Iran’s full support of the election results. Larijani added, “This victory will certainly disappoint the Zionists and will result in restoration of tranquility and security.”
- Armed Forces General Staff Headquarters Chief Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi congratulated Assad: “[his victory is] a source of disgrace for America and opponents of the Syrian people.”
- Head of IRGC Public Affairs Brig. Gen. 2C Ramezan Sharif addressed a memorial held for 158 deceased veterans of the Iran-Iraq war in Khorasan-e Razavi province:
- “The country has achieved many advances regarding technology and some production under the shadow of sanctions. Economic problems can be solved with national determination.”
- “If today you see the horrendous cultural attacks waged against this country’s families through satellites and the internet it is because the enemy has understood that the only thing that gave Iran an advantage during the war was Iranian families’ strong faith and virtue.”
- “About three years ago the Americans, Israelis, and their regional allies targeted Syria, one of the most important Axis of Resistance countries, due to the Islamic Awakening. They sought to disintegrate this primary axis of Resistance, in liberating Jerusalem and transform it to their own den. With a widespread attack and by gathering terrorists from around the world, they took ignorant people to that arena.”
- President Rouhani is scheduled to meet with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara on Monday. They plan to sign six cooperation agreements in various fields, mainly in the energy sector.
- Iran’s Permanent Representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors Reza Najafi discussed this week’s quarterly meeting of the IAEA and said:
- “According to the agreements between Iran and the IAEA, since October of last year 13 measures have taken place and from the Islamic Republic of Iran’s perspective there are no remaining issues left.”
- “There is no documented evidence that has been provided by the agency; even the Director General of the IAEA’s reports has been unable to confirm the authenticity of allegations pointing to the military dimension of Iran’s nuclear program.”
- “[Iran] will continue to work with the agency in good faith in order to reach a comprehensive deal.”
- Technical talks between Iran and the P5+1 ended today.
- Ahlul Bayt News Agency reports that Syrian Army forces in Idlib province have killed Islamic State of Iraq and Sham (ISIS) member Sufyan Esmail Da’du, AKA “Abu Moawia,” who is allegedly responsible for the death of Iranian documentary maker Esmail Heydari in August 2013 [See: Iran News Round Up August 22, 2013].
- Lebanese Hezbollah (LH) buried member Mohammad Ali Lama, AKA “Halal, killed in Syria. Head of LH in the Southern Region Haj Ali Zaoun and other LH officials attended his funeral ceremony in Toul, Lebanon.
- Artesh Khatam ol-Anbia Air Base Commander Brig. Gen. Amir Farzad Esmaili spoke at the unveiling ceremony of the Ghadir radar system and said “If we are going to counter widespread air attacks from the enemy, we have to use advanced air techniques.”
- Iran’s Ambassador to Azerbaijan Mohsen Pakabin said that despite the efforts of “external” elements aiming to create tension, “Tehran’s relationship with Baku is at its best and the future of [our] relations looks bright.”
- Central Bank of Iran Head Valiollah Seif announced an expected GDP growth of 2-3 percent by the end of the Iranian calendar year in March 2015.