Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
Military and Security
- Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force Commander Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani spoke to Iran-Iraq war veterans and families of those killed in the war at an event in Kerman on April 4. “The great words of Imam Khomeini said we can replicate and spread the Islamic Revolution and America can do nothing to prevent it.”
- “The enemy thinks Iran is like Afghanistan or Pakistan, but they are unaware that the will and desire of our nation will destroy the enemy. The difference between our people and the enemy is that our people are willing to give everything.”
- “The Islamic Republic, in 35 years has transformed the more than 500 year journey of the world of Islam…The late Imam [Khomeini] changed the course of history and changed the regressive course of Islam.”
- “The [Iran-Iraq] war created a great man-making school in the country. These men became martyrs of history and eternal life and the school became one of love, sincerity, spirituality, and morality.”
- The Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps announced that it “identified and arrested a team of terrorists” in Khuzestan province that, according to reports released by the IRGC, was “operating within a framework of psychological operations to bomb and vandalize sensitive places and strongholds, and create a climate of fear and insecurity in the area while under the umbrella of intelligence services of the enemies of Iran.” The IRGC said its forces confiscated explosives, sticky bombs, and mobile communication systems equipped with encryption devices from the detainees.
- The IRGC Navy vessels will be reportedly be equipped with rockets capable of targeting frigates, warships, and coastal assets at a range of 200 kilometers. IRGC Navy Deputy Commander Brig. General Ali Reza Tangsiri said the cruise missiles on its naval vessels will “fly at low altitude” and are highly accurate.
- Islamic Republic of Iran Navy (IRIN) Commander Habibollah Sayyari announced that Iranian naval ships have docked in Muscat to hold a joint rescue and relief drill with Omani naval forces.
- IRIN Rear Admiral Shahram Irani announced the arrival of Pakistan’s naval ships in Bandar Abbas and commencement of joint exercises in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Head of the Basij Organization Brig. Gen. Mohammad Reza spoke at a mourning ceremonyfor Gilan Province Hezbollah member Abolhassan Karimi, who was killed in 1986. Naghdi criticized the European Union for its effort to draw attention to human rights violations in Iran and added: “As the Quran says, the Europeans are worse than beasts.”
- Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base Lieutenant Commander Gen. Ali Reza Sabahi-Fard claimed that Iran “witnessed change in the enemy’s behavior in the region” following the “Defenders of Velayat Skies 5” and “Mesbah al Hoda” air defense exercises.”
- President Hassan Rouhani has invited Austria’s President Heinz Fischer to visit Iran.
Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif arrived in Vienna for the third round of nuclear talks on April 7-8 and expressed optimism that a final deal could be secured before the July 20 deadline. Upon his arrival, said “The adoption of the European Parliament’s [human rights] resolution on Iran has no bearing on our nuclear talks” with the P5+1. Zarif also discussed the upcoming round of negotiations:
??“In the talks during the next two days, we will conclude the discussions in order to begin drafting the joint text of the final agreement in the next stage, which will be held in May.”
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian passed on President Rouhani’s invitation to visit Iran to Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah.
- The body of an Iranian found in Pakistani Baluchistan was delivered Pakistani to Iran. According to Tasnim News Agency reports it is assumed that the group Jaish al-Adl is responsible for killing the man.
- Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei sent a letter to the executive, legislative, and judicial bodies outlining 14 general policies for raising the country’s hygienic standards and improving medical services. In the letter, he called for “universal basic health insurance” for Iranians and “strengthening the competitive market for insurance services.”
- President Hassan Rouhani told the parliament that his government’s goals include reducing inflation to 25% and creating “an economic boom that coincides with the second phase of targeted subsidies.”
- Foreign Minister Javad Zarif met with Ayatollah Ahmad Alam al-Hoda and Ayatollah Vaez Tabasi, the head of the Astan Quds Razavi Foundation.
- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian met with Deputy Secretary of Foreign Affairs for the Multilateral and Legal Group Gerard van Bohemenof New Zealand to discuss developments in Syria and said that “terrorist groups in Syria [benefiting] from the backing of certain foreign countries” have failed to overthrow the Assad regime.
- National Security and Foreign Policy (NSFP) Parliamentary Commission Member Esmail Kowsari said that Iran chose not to “rain rockets” at Jaish al Adl positions in Pakistan as it did in October 2013 “in order to protect the lives of our guards,” who were kidnapped and recently returned.
- First Vice President Eshagh Jahangiri Jahangiri responded to questions about the price of gasoline and the second phase of the implementation of targeted subsidies and announced that:
- “Gas and diesel are some of the goods that if at some point we decide to raise their prices, we will announce it the night before.” “Registration for the second phase of targeted subsidies will begin on 20 Farvardin (April 9, 2014) and after another opportunity to register for those who have not considered it already, the second phase will continue.”
Photo of the Day
- Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif arrives in Vienna for Tuesday’s nuclear talks