Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Law Enforcement Forces (LEF) Commander Brig. Gen. Esmail Ahmadi Moghaddam addressed an inauguration ceremony of incoming LEF Fars Commander Brig. Gen. Ahmad Ali Goudarzi and thanked the efforts of outgoing Brig. Gen. Sirous Sajjadian.
- The Promised Day Brigade, affiliated with the Sadrist Movement, has reportedly joined the Asa’ib Ahl al Haq (AAH), the Iraqi Badr Brigade, and “Iraqi Hezbollah” brigades in Samarra to defend the Emamin-e Askarin shrine.
- Shi’a militant group Saraya as-Salam, recently formed by Sadrist Movement Leader Muqatada al Sadr, has reportedly entered Samarra “to defend this city’s sacred shrines and cooperate with military forces.”
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission Chairman MP Alaeddin Boroujerdi announced IRI’s opposition to secession in Iraq:
- “[Iran’s] opinion is firmly opposed to such a phenomenon and considers it to be to the benefit of Islam’s enemies.”
- “Iran’s continuous recommendation to the Turkish government is based on preventing the region from being engulfed in flames and not supporting terrorism. This danger threatens the region’s disintegration.”
- “Supporting [Iraq’s] disintegration is a betrayal to the nation and history of Iraq.”
- LEF Commander Brig. Gen. Esmail Ahmadi Moghaddam reassured border security and denied the Islamic State’s (IS) penetration into Iran:
- “Artesh and IRGC forces are ready to defend the borders with the LEF’s support, and we have complete operational awareness.”
- “Residents of Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia may seek to travel to Iraq and Syria through Iran and some minor instances occur, but it is untrue that any unit from IS and other groups have entered Iran.”
- Head of the Ammar Base [pro-Khamenei think tank] Hojjat al Eslam Mehdi Taeb called IS’ incursion a “sedition” sponsored by the U.S. and Israel:
- “The success of [IS] is because none has noticed its connection with America and Israel, therefore they rapidly change colors.”
- “Their next goal is Turkey and Jordan.”
- “The supporters of ISIL are terrified today. For example, Saudi Arabia, which finances all ISIL’s costs and expenses, has announced preparedness in order to preserve its image.”
- Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian reaffirmed Tehran’s commitment to Iraq upon Baghdad’s request at a press conference in Moscow and said:
- “What has recently occurred in Iraq is the result of foreign intervention, a plan that America designed. The Americans are seeking to implement a second Ukraine in Iraq.”
- Senior Qom cleric Grand Ayatollah Nasser Makarem Shirazi issued a statement condemning Saudi Arabia’s death sentence against dissident Sheikh Nemr Baqir al Nemr:
- “We warn Saudi officials that such harsh measures very much enflame the passion of all Shi’as and followers of the school of the ahl-e bayt [Prophet’s household]. It will lead to consequences.”