Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- According to reports an Iranian pilot was killed in Iraq. Details of the location and the pilot’s operations in Iraq have not been revealed. Iranian news sources claim the pilot was killed defending the holy sites in Samarra.
- The Iranian Embassy in Riyadh rejected reports claiming an Iranian delegation was dispatched to Saudi Arabia to hold secret talks about the Iraqi crisis.
- Assembly of Experts member Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami discussed the potential referendum for an independent Iraqi Kurdistan and said:
- “This plot should be thwarted… Because another cancer tumor, like Israel, will be shaped in the Persian Gulf region, and such secession will not be confined to Kurdistan.”
- Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham reiterated Iran’s position on the unity of the Iraqi government and said:
- “Undoubtedly the vigilant Iraqi people will not allow the Zionist regime and enemies of a unified Iraq to carry out their plots and realize their immature fantasies in the region.”
- International and Legal Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and EU deputy foreign policy chief Helga Schmid held a meeting for over seven hours to work on the final nuclear agreement draft.