Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
- According to Kurdish BAS News a “large number” of Iranian forces have been spotted by local villagers near Kurdistan the border checkpoints Bozi Mergasir, Kani Khwa, Mlaqal, Garui Lawk and near the Halgurd Mountains. There have also been local reports from the Haji Omaran border crossing into Sidaka.
- Tehran Interim Friday Prayer Leader and Expediency Discernment Council (EDC) member Mohammad Ali Movahedi Kermani called the Iraqi crisis a non sectarian “strife” during his sermon:
- “One of the main objectives of the presence of the ISIS [IS] in the region is to deflect public opinion from Israel’s crimes.”
- International and Legal Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi dismissed claims stating that Iran is willing to settle for a lower count of centrifuges and said:
- "All the figures which are reported on the number of centrifuges are the figment of the imagination of some foreign media outlets that seek to ruin the climate of talks between Iran and the P5+1 and create tension.”
- Iranian officials rejected claims of potential cooperation with the US in Iraq.
- Funeral procession held today in Mashhad for three martyrs Seyyed Hassan Mousavi, Reza Mirzani, and Abbas Alizadeh, reportedly killed defending the Seyyeda Zainab shrine in Syria.
- According to AhlulBayt News IS has claimed jurisdiction over all Islamic countries, half of Africa, and a large part of Europe. The map shows the new proposed layout, which shows Iran split in three separate units.