Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Senior AQAP religious officials dies after airstrike; Ansar al Sharia kills five soldiers in VBIED attack in al Bayda; unidentified militants clash with security forces in Aden
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab robs civilians in Lower Jubba region; al Shabaab releases video portraying the life of militants
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released a statement on February 5 stating that a suspected U.S. airstrike on January 31 in Shabwah killed senior religious leader Harith bin Ghazi al Nadhari along with three other AQAP members.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) on February 4 targeting the 26th Mechanized Infantry Brigade in al Sawadiyah, al Bayda. Five soldiers died in the attack.
- Unidentified militants clashed with security forces in Mansoura, Aden on February 5. The militants, likely members of Ansar al Sharia or the Southern Movement, wounded four soldiers in the fighting.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Suspected al Shabaab militants stole livestock and kidnapped civilians on February 5 in Badade, Lower Jubba region.
- Al Shabaab released a video on February 2. The video titled “From the Frontlines of Honor” portrays the daily life of al Shabaab fighters.