Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Ansar al Sharia militants capture 19th Infantry Brigade base in Shabwah; suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonate IED in Hadramawt; al Houthi militants clash with local tribesmen in Ibb
Horn of Africa: Somali government troops attack Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a-held town in Galguduud region; Somali government forces secure town in Bakool region
Yemen Security Brief
- Ansar al Sharia militants seized the base of the 19th Infantry Brigade in Bayhan, Shabwah on February 12. Ansar al Sharia militants detonated a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (SVBIED) at the entrance of the base and kidnapped some of the soldiers. Militants also seized military equipment stored at the camp. The base is one of the largest military installations to have fallen to Ansar al Sharia.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) in Sayun, Hadramawt on February 12. The explosive targeted a special security forces checkpoint in the city and injured three people.
- Al Houthi militants clashed with local tribesmen in the Qafir district of Ibb on February 11. Tribesmen attacked the al Houthis after the al Houthis kidnapped a local sheikh and took him to an unknown location.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Somali government forces launched an attack to reclaim the town of Guriel, Galgadud region on February 12, where Somali government forces have been battling Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a forces for control of the town since February 10.
- Somali government forces secured the town of Hudur, Bakool region and the surrounding area on February 11. The town had previously been held by al Shabaab.
 “Al Qaeda fighters seize Yemen Army Base, UN warns of civil war,” Reuters, February 12, 2015. Available: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/12/us-yemen-security-idUSKBN0LG0VE20150212
“The fall of the 19th Brigade in Beyhan,” Barakish, February 12, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=279395
 “Soldier and two citizens wounded by explosion in Sayun,” Barakish, February 12, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=279393
 “Dead and wounded in fighting between al Houthis and tribesmen in Qafir, Ibb,” al Masdar, February 11, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/67912
 “Somali govt troops battle Sufi militia for town’s control,” Hiiraan Online, February 12. Available: http://www.hiiraan.com/news4/2015/Feb/98124/somali_govt_troops_battle_sufi_militia_for_town_s_control.aspx
“Somalia: Fighting continues as government troops, Islamist militia battle for Central town,” Horseed Media, February 12. Available: http://horseedmedia.net/2015/02/12/somalia-fighting-continues-as-government-troops-islamist-militia-battle-for-central-town/
 “Somali troops take new grounds from Al Shabaab,” Mareeg Media, February 11. Available: http://www.mareeg.com/somali-troops-take-new-grounds-from-al-shabaab/