Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Tribal militants seize military camp in Ma’rib; suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonate IEDs in Hadramawt; suspected Ansar al Sharia militants assassinate pilot in Lahij
Horn of Africa: Somali government forces fail to retake Galguduud region; Puntland forces attack al Shabaab in Sanaag region
Yemen Security Brief
- Tribal militants seized a military camp in al Adi, Harib, Ma’rib on February 13. Soldiers surrendered the camp and their weapons without fighting and left the area.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated two improvised explosive devices (IED) in the cities Shibam and Sayun, Hadramawt on February 13. Both explosions targeted security personnel in the area and wounded a total of five soldiers.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants assassinated a Yemeni pilot in al Hawta, Lahij on February 13. No group has claimed credit for the attack. The attackers were riding on a motorcycle, a method consistent with past Ansar al Sharia assassinations.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- The attempt by Somali government troops to retake the town of Guriel, Galgadud region on February 12 failed. The town remains under the control of Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a fighters.
- Puntland army forces attacked al Shabaab fighters in Madashon, Sanaag region on February 13. The attack resulted in the deaths of five al Shabaab fighters, three soldiers, and the capture of one al Shabaab fighter.