Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonate IED in Hadramawt; Ansar al Sharia militants clash with al Houthi forces in al Bayda; suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonate VBIED in al Bayda
Horn of Africa: Suspected al Shabaab grenade attack in Bari region; Somali government detains suspect on FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorist list
Yemen Security Brief
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) targeting the 135th Infantry Brigade in al Qatan, Hadramawt on March 3. The explosion killed four people and wounded three others.
- Ansar al Sharia militants allied with tribal forces attacked al Houthi forces in Dhi Na’im, al Bayda on March 2. Reports claim that 18 al Houthis and seven tribal militants died in the fighting.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) in al Bayda city, al Bayda on March 3. The explosion targeted an al Houthi site in the city and killed an unspecified number of people.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Suspected al Shabaab militants carried out a grenade attack on a military checkpoint in Boosaaso, Bari region on March 2. The frequency of al Shabaab attacks in the city has increased in recent months.
- A U.S. government source reported on March 2 that a naturalized U.S. citizen on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list has been detained by the Somali government. The suspect, Liban Haji Mohammed, lived in the Washington D.C. area before leaving the U.S. in 2012. He is wanted for providing material support to al Shabaab.