Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonate IED in Hadramawt; al Houthi militants enter al Bayda city; security forces clear two IEDs in Sana’a
Horn of Africa: Security forces arrest 500 in Mogadishu; government forces clash with Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a in Galguduud region
Yemen Security Brief
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated an improvised explosive device (IED) in Shibam, Hadramawt on February 10. The explosion targeted a convoy from the Yemeni 135th Infantry brigade and wounded five soldiers.
- Al Houthi militants entered al Bayda city, al Bayda along with elements from the Yemeni military on February 10. The allied forces deployed troops throughout the city.
- Security forces found and cleared two IEDs in the capital, Sana’a, on February 10. No group has claimed credit for the attempted attack, which targeted the offices of the al Ahrar Party.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Security forces in the Hamar Weyne district of Mogadishu arrested more than 500 people on February 10. This comes one day after the assassination of a Somali Member of Parliament.
- Somali government forces supported by Ethiopian forces clashed with Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a militants in the town of Guri Ceel, Galguduud region on February 10. It is unclear whether Somali forces or militants are in control of the town.