Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: UN-led talks to find political solution for Yemen’s government break down; Ansar al Sharia clashes with military in Shabwah; Ansar al Sharia clashes with military in Hadramawt
Horn of Africa: Cleric killed by unknown gunmen in Baidoa, Bay region; IED attack on Puntland official in Mudug region
Yemen Security Brief
- UN-brokered talks to solve Yemen’s current political crisis broke down on January 2 as al Houthis rejected a proposal to have parliament vote on President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi’s resignation and multiple political parties withdrew from talks. It is unclear if talks will resume before an al Houthi-imposed deadline of February 4 for talks to end.
- Ansar al Sharia attacked a military barrack in Azzan, Shabwah, southern Yemen on February 3. One soldier died in the attack. Militants clashed with security forces following the attack.
- Ansar al Sharia targeted a military encampment in al Qatan, Hadramawt with three improvised explosive devices (IEDs) on February 2. Ansar al Sharia militants proceeded to attack the camp following the detonation of the explosives.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Unidentified gunmen killed a cleric aligned with Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a inside a mosque in Baidoa, Bay region on February 2. A spokesman for Ahlu Sunna wa al Jama’a claimed that the unknown gunmen were al Shabaab members and called for vengeance.
- Unidentified militants detonated an IED targeting a Puntland official in Galkayo, Mudug region, on January 3. The official escaped unharmed.
 “Yemen’s main parties suspend talks with al Houthi rebels,” Yemen Fox, February 3, 2015. Available: http://yemenfox.net/news_details.php?sid=23835
“Nasserite Party official: I will not go back to negotiations with al Houthis,” al Khabar al Yom, February 3, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.akhbaralyom.net/news_details.php?sid=86243
“JMP and Nasserite party withdraw from talks,” al Khabar al Yom, February 3, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://www.akhbaralyom.net/news_details.php?sid=86237
“Violent clashes between the military and Ansar al Sharia in Azzan, Shabwah,” Barakish, February 3, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=278917
 “Violent explosions rock the city Qatan in Hadramawt,” al Masdar, February 2, 2015 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/67413
 “Somalia: Second cleric killed in Baidoa in two weeks,” Garowe Online, January 3. Available: http://www.garoweonline.com/page/show/post/1634/somalia-second-cleric-killed-in-baidoa-in-two-weeks
 “Somalia: Puntland official survives bomb attack,” Garowe Online, January 3. Available: http://www.garoweonline.com/page/show/post/1639/somalia-puntland-official-survives-bomb-attack