Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Southern Movement militants clash with military in Lahij; al Houthis clash with local tribes in Ma’rib; Ansar al Sharia attacks 135th Brigade in Hadramawt; Ansar al Sharia militants attack military site in Ma’rib
Horn of Africa: Suspected al Shabaab militants kill police informant in Kenya’s Coast Province; Somali police skirmish with youths in Woqooyi Galbeed region
Yemen Security Brief
- Southern Movement militants clashed with Yemeni soldiers on January 30 in al Milah, Lahij, resulting in an unknown number of casualties. The fighting began after militants tried to seize a military site in the area.
- Al Houthi militants clashed with tribesmen in Majzar, Ma’rib near the Sana’a-Ma’rib border on January 29. The area has seen increased violence between the al Houthis and local tribes since the al Houthi takeover of the capital Sana’a on January 19.
- Ansar al Sharia militants clashed with the 135th Infantry Brigade on January 29 in al Qatan, Hadramawt. One soldier was killed in the fighting, but the military repelled the attack.
- Ansar al Sharia militants attacked a military encampment in Ma’rib on January 30. Reports say that the attackers were related to the three people killed in a suspected US drone strike on January 21.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Suspected al Shabaab militants killed a police informant in Diana, Kenya’s Coast Province on January 30. The victim was a known police informant who had been active in attempts to prevent radicalization in the area.
- Security forces in Hargeisa, Woqooyi Galbeed region, clashed with youth in the city when police attempted to arrest youths suspected of carrying out violent crimson January 29. The incident resulted in at least one dead and security forces moving to prevent further unrest.