Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by the AEI Critical Threats Project's Iran research team. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors
- Head of the Judiciary Branch Ayatollah Sadegh Amoli Larijani condemned the recent meeting between EU Foreign Policy Catherine Ashton and Iranian human rights activists, including seditionist Narges Mohammadi. He then warned the Rouhani administration that the judiciary will “enter action” if “such a trend continues.”
- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani announced the formation of various Parliamentary committees and workgroups on the implementation of “resistance economy” policies.
- In a letter, Head of the Women and Family Parliamentary Faction MP Fatemeh Rahbar asked EU Foreign Policy Chief Ashton to provide truth on why she met “with someone whose political resume includes armed combat against the Islamic Republic of Iran system.”
- National Security and Foreign Policy Parliamentary Commission member MP Hojjatollah Khodaei Souri criticized the Pakistani government for saying that it lacked information regarding the five Iranian border guards that were kidnapped last month.
Military and Security
- Armed Forces General Staff Headquarters Chief Maj. Gen. Hassan Firouzabadi criticized EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton and said, “If Ms. Ashton intends to [begin] another sedition in Iran, she will take this wish to the grave.”
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Basij Organization Hojjat al-Eslam Mohammad Reza Toyserkani commended the “revolutionary and righteous” statements of judiciary head Larijani and said, “Western officials want to take our country towards sedition like Ukraine and cause chaos in Tehran like Kiev. It is best for them to know that Iran is different than Georgia and Ukraine, and we will not compromise our nation’s fundamental rights with any power in the world.”
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the IRGC Hojjat al-Eslam Ali Saidi discussed IRGC relations with the Rouhani administration in an interview and stated that the IRGC would continue supporting Rouhani “as long as principles and fundamentals are observed.” He then touted Iranian regional influence and said that the Islamic Republic’s “option on the table” is its “soft power” that has been “very successful until now.”
- Senior Foreign Policy Advisor to the Supreme Leader Ali Akbar Velayati announced that the next Supreme Islamic Awakening Council will take place in Baghdad and said, “Our wish is Palestine’s liberation. We hope that we can one day pray behind the Supreme Leader in the Dome of the Rock.” Velayati then emphasized the necessity of continuing the “Islamic Awakening movement” until the “fulfillment of the Islamic ummah’s goals and cooperation.”
- President Hassan Rouhani met with the Sultan of Oman Qaboos bin Said Al Said and expressed hope that the relationship between the two countries would serve “as an example for expanding relations between regional countries.”
- Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh met with his Omani counterpart Mohammad bin Hamd Al Ramhi and signed a twenty-five year contract, worth $60 billion, for Iranian natural gas exports to Oman. The agreement will also permit the marketing of Iranian natural gas in Omanby joint venture companies, effectively marking Iran’s entrance to the natural gas retail market.
- Legal and International Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister and senior nuclear negotiator Abbas Araghchi is traveling to Moscow to meet with Representative of the Russian Delegation to the P5+1 Sergey Ryabkov.
- Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Head Ali Akbar Salehi announced, “Iran and the Resistance have no fear of the Zionist regime and they will not dare attack.”
- American and European Affairs Deputy to the Foreign Minister and nuclear negotiations team member Majid Takht Ravanchi stated, “Sections related to defensive and missile matters are outside negotiations and accepting this matter is reprobated for us.”
Photo of the Day
- Mehr News Agency photo essay: Western Azerbaijan natural habitat.