Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: AQAP calls for jihadi groups to respect fellow Muslims; al Islah party tribesmen ambush al Houthis in al Jawf; al Houthis take control of Central Prison in Hajjah; Yemeni military reinforcements arrive in al Majalah, Abyan
Horn of Africa: AMISOM and Somali National Army forces seize and clear largest remaining al Shabaab stronghold in Lower Shabelle region; al Shabaab releases video documenting their June 2013 raid at the UN Common Compound in Mogadishu; al Shabaab militants attack Somali security forces near Mogadishu; AMISOM and Somali National Army forces seize additional territory from suspected al Shabaab militants in Bakool, Lower Jubba regions
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) congratulated Muslims for the occasion to celebrate Eid al Adha and called for jihadi groups to respect fellow Muslims and continue fighting against their enemies in a statement released on Twitter on October 3.
- Al Islah-linked tribesmen ambushed a car in Khat al Sha’ab, al Jawf on October 6, killing five al Houthi militants.
- Al Houthi militants took control the Central Prison in Hajjah governorate on October 5 following the escape of an unidentified prisoner.
- Reinforcements from the Yemeni 115th Infantry Brigade and 39th Armored Brigade arrived in al Majalah, Abyan from Lawder and Mahfad, respectively, on October 3.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and Somali National Army (SNA) forces seized al Shabaab’s largest remaining stronghold from the militants in Barawe, Lower Shabelle region on October 5 and conducted security operations in the area on October 6. Many militants initially fled the town without confrontation but others later clashed with AMISOM and SNA forces in the area on October 6, resulting in an unknown number of casualties.
- Al Shabaab militants released a video on October 3 documenting the group’s June 19, 2013 raid at the UN Common Compound in Mogadishu. The group presented the video, which condemns UN involvement in Somalia, as a “gift” for the Muslim holiday, Eid al Adha.
- Al Shabaab militants carried out an attack on Somali security forces, killing two soldiers, at Jazeera beach near Mogadishu on October 6.
- AMISOM and SNA forces seized a village from al Shabaab, reportedly killing seven militants, near Tiyeglow town in Bakool region on October 6. Additionally, AMISOM and Jubbaland forces seized Bulagadud, Yonto and Koban from al Shabaab militants in Lower Jubba region on October 6. Reports indicated that militants briefly clashed with government forces, resulting in an unknown number of casualties.