Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthis fight with Yemeni military near government installations; Yemeni Air Force bombs several al Houthi sites in al Jawf; Ansar al Sharia targets senior police officer in Lahij
Horn of Africa: al Shabaab senior official threatens retaliatory attacks in the U.S. and East Africa; Somali Police chief claims capture of fifty members of al Shabaab’s intelligence wing; Somali security forces conduct security operations in Banadir, Middle Shabelle, and Lower Shabelle regions
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthi militants fought with the Yemeni military at a security checkpoint between the Haziz power station and al Sawad military base near Sana’a on September 9, killing one civilian and wounding 15 others.
- The Yemeni Air Force bombed several al Houthi camps in al Jawf on September 10.
- Militants from al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula‘s (AQAP) insurgent arm, Ansar al Sharia, attacked the Lahij police in al Hawta, Lahij on September 9, wounding a senior police officer.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Senior al Shabaab official Fuad Mohamed Qalaf, also known as Shongole, threatened attacks against the U.S., specifically targeting New York and Washington, in retaliation for the September 1 U.S. airstrike that killed former al Shabaab leader Ahmed Abdi Godane. Shongole also threatened further al Shabaab attacks in Kenya and Uganda during his September 8 statement.
- African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and Somali National Army (SNA) forces conducted security operations to counter the threat of increased al Shabaab activity in Banadir, Middle Shabelle, and Lower Shabelle regions on September 9 and 10, resulting in the arrest of 30 individuals in the Kurtunwarey district of Lower Shabelle region.
- The chief of the Somali Police Force, General Mohamed Hassan Ismail, claimed on September 9 that Somali security forces have captured fifty members of al Shabaab’s Amniyat intelligence wing in operations conducted in Mogadishu over the past two months.