Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthi gunmen kill AQAP member in al Bayda; AQAP judge calls for Sunnis to fight al Houthis; al Houthi militants storm government building in Sana’a; AQAP militants detonate IED in Shabwah
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab militants attack Jubbaland and AMISOM forces in Lower Jubba region; Somali security forces arrest dozens of suspected militants in Mogadishu; al Shabaab militants publicly execute man accused of rape in Lower Shabelle region
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthi gunmen reportedly killed al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) member Nasser al Hitam during fighting in Rada’a, al Bayda on October 22. Al Hitam is accused of carrying out assassinations against Yemeni military personnel. Separately, al Houthi gunmen attacked a military checkpoint in Rada’a, al Bayda on October 21, killing three soldiers and one officer from the Qaifa tribe. Qaifa tribal militants retaliated by attacking al Houthi militants in and around Rada’a. No other casualties have been reported.
- AQAP Judge Mamoun Hatem spoke in Ibb City, Ibb on October 21, calling for Sunnis to fight the al Houthis and reclaim their lost territory, including Amran.
- Al Houthi militants raided the office of the Interior Ministry in Sana’a on October 22. No casualties were reported. Separately, President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi rejected the governor of Sana’a’s October 19 resignation on October 22.
- Suspected AQAP militants detonated a roadside improvised explosive device (IED) near a military checkpoint in Shabwah on October 22, killing three and injuring two civilians.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab militants attacked Jubbaland and African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) forces near Kismayo, Lower Jubba, resulting in the death of five militants and one solider, on October 22.
- Somali security forces reportedly arrested more than fifty suspected al Shabaab militants in Heliwa district of Mogadishu on October 22. 
- Al Shabaab militants publicly stoned an 18 year-old to death, accusing him of rape, in Dharuuro, Lower Shabelle region on October 22.