Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Abdul Malik al Houthi addresses Yemeni public; Ansar al Sharia describes anti-Houthi propaganda campaign; Protestors demonstrate against al Houthi militants in Ibb; al Tihami gunmen fight with al Houthi militants in al Hudaydah
Horn of Africa: Al Shabaab militants attack Somali National Army forces in Lower Shabelle Region; Jubbaland security forces seize village from al Shabaab in Lower Jubba region; unidentified gunmen assassinate former Kenyan official in Kenya’s Eastern Province
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthi leader Abdul Malik al Houthi spoke on Yemeni television on October 24 justifying the al Houthis’ recent advances in southern Yemen as an effort to protect citizens from al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). The speech also condemned alleged foreign intervention in Yemen’s affairs. Abdul Malik stated that he will convene a meeting of Yemeni leaders to discuss the future of the country by October 31.
- Ansar al Sharia released a report describing its anti-Houthi propaganda campaign in Ma’rib and al Jawf. The report details the group’s continued efforts to mobilize Sunni tribes to combat the al Houthis.
- Citizens protested against al Houthi occupation in Ibb City on October 23, demanding that President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi take responsibility for the security situation in the country.
- Gunmen from the al Tihami Movement fought with al Houthi militants in al Hudaydah City on October 23, killing one and injuring five others. The al Houthis have recently angered civilians in al Hudaydah by their continued occupation of the city.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Al Shabaab forces attacked Somali National Army (SNA) forces near Afgoi in Sabiib village, Lower Shabelle region on October 23, resulting in an unknown number of casualties. Government forces had repelled the militants by October 24 and are currently conducting security operations in the area.
- Jubbaland security forces seized Biroole village, Lower Jubba region from al Shabaab militants on October 24, killing four militants.
- Unidentified gunmen shot and killed a former Kenyan parliamentarian at his residence in Moyale in Kenya’s Eastern Province on October 23.
 “Abdul Malik al Houthi attacks his critics, describing them as ‘mercenaries’ and saying his luggage would be at the disposal of the ministerial southerners,” al Masdar, October 24, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/63226
 Ansar al Sharia Twitter statement, Octtober 23.
 “Ibb: demonstrators demand the departure of the al Houthi group and the evacuation of the city’s educational and sporting facilities,” al Masdar, October 23, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/63215
 “al Houthi gunmen killed and two wounded in confrontations with the al Tihami movement in al Hudaydah,” al Masdar, October 23, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/63217
“Killing and injuring 6 people in clashes between Ansar Allah and the al Tihami movement,” Barakish, October 23, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=224231
 “SOMALIA: Al-shabab attacks government forces in Afgoye’s outskirts,” RBC Radio, October 24, 2014. Available: http://www.raxanreeb.com/2014/10/somalia-al-shabab-attacks-government-forces-in-afgoyes-outskirts/
 “SOMALIA: Interim Jubba Adminsitration forces capture Biroole Village, Lower Jubba region,” RBC Radio, October 24, 2014. Available: http://www.raxanreeb.com/2014/10/somalia-interim-jubba-administration-forces-capture-biroole-villge-lower-jubba-region/
 “Ex-Moyale MP killed in gun attack,” Daily Nation, October 23, 2014. Available: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Ex-Moyale-MP-killed-in-gun-attack/-/1064/2497326/-/4xq1l7z/-/index.html