Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: President Hadi requests al Houthi militants to leave all cities; IED kill 21 al Houthis in al Bayda; tribal militants and Ansar al Sharia gunmen fight with al Houthi rebels in al Bayda; AQAP attacks base in Shabwah
Horn of Africa: Suspected al Shabaab militants detonate car bomb in Mogadishu; al Shabaab’s media branch releases a video of raid in Lower Shabelle region; AMISOM and Somali National Army forces clash with al Shabaab militants in Lower Jubba region; unidentified gunmen target Somali official in Mogadishu
Yemen Security Brief
- President Abdu Rabbu Mansour Hadi asked al Houthi militants to depart from all cities, including Sana’a, in a televised address on October 26. President Hadi described the al Houthi control of various cities as an “occupation,” and declared that only the Yemeni military is qualified to combat terrorism.
- Suspected Ansar al Sharia militants detonated a suicide vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (SVBIED) targeting al Houthi supporters in Rada’a, al Badya on October 26, leading to the deaths of 21 al Houthi militants.
- Ansar al Sharia gunmen pushed back al Houthi militants from Rada’a, al Bayda on October 25, killing dozens and capturing 12 al Houthi militants. Al Houthi militants later attacked Ansar al Sharia near Rada’a in al Manaseh, al Bayda on October 26, killing ten civilians. Separately, an unidentified air strike killed three Ansar al Sharia militants in Manaseh, al Bayda on October 24.
- Suspected al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) militants attacked a military base in Shabwah on October 27. No casualties have been reported. Separately, unidentified assailants detonated a roadside improvised explosive device (IED) in Tarim, Hadramawt on October 27.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Suspected al Shabaab militants detonated a car bomb along Makka al Mukarama road in Mogadishu, killing one and wounding five on October 27. Security forces arrested multiple suspects, including the alleged owner of the vehicle.
- Al Shabaab’s media branch, al Kataib Media Foundation, released a video on October 24 depicting the preparation and execution of a raid on Janale, Lower Shabelle region. The video additionally shows violence against Muslims by Christian militias in Central African Republic (CAR).
- Kenyan African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and Somali National Army (SNA) forces fought al Shabaab militants, reportedly killing more than eighty militants, near Jamame, Lower Jubba region on October 24. Separately, AMISOM and Jubbaland security forces seized territory from al Shabaab militants in Kuda Island, Lower Jubba region on October 26, resulting in an unknown number of casualties. The incidents come as AMISOM and SNA forces are continuing an advance towards al Shabaab safe havens in Lower Jubba and Middle Jubba regions. 
- Unidentified gunmen attempted to assassinate Somali Member of Parliament, Abdullahi Rooble, in the Hodan district of Mogadishu on October 26. Roble sustained light injuries after the gunmen dressed as security forces began firing on his vehicle.
 “Yemen president asks Houthis to pull out of cities – updated,” World Bulletin, October 26, 2014. Available: http://www.worldbulletin.net/world/147091/fighting-shakes-lebanons-tripoli-for-third-day
 “Suicide bomber in Yemen kills 20 al Houthi fighters: sources,” Reuters, October 27, 2014. Available: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/27/us-yemen-attacks-idUSKBN0IG0VH20141027
 “Al Qaeda militants push back Shi’ite rebels’ advance on central Yemen stronghold,” Reuters, October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/25/us-yemen-security-idUSKCN0IE0DE20141025
“Tribes in Central Yemen join forces against al Houthi rebels,” Bloomberg, October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-25/tribes-in-central-yemen-join-forces-against-houthi-rebels.html
“Update 2- Ten civilians killed as Yemeni al Houthis advance into al Qaeda stronghold,” Reuters, October 27, 2014. Available: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/10/26/yemen-security-idINL5N0SL1FF20141026
“Drone strike kills three al Qaeda-linked militants: tribal sources,” Reuters, October 24, 2014. Available: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/us-yemen-qaeda-drone-idUSKCN0ID2DL20141024
“Gunmen attack military sites in Shabwah,” Barakish, October 27, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=224375
“Explosion targeting a military vehicle in Wadi Hadramawt and casualties,” Barakish, October 27, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=224359
 “SOMALIA: CAR bomb kills at least one civilian in Mogadishu road,” October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.raxanreeb.com/2014/10/somalia-car-bomb-kills-at-least-one-civilian-in-mogadishu-road/
“One killed and five wounded in Mogadishu car bomb,” October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2014/10/25/one-killed-and-five-wounded-in-mogadishu-car-bomb/
 “Shabaab Expresses Support for Muslims in CAR in Video, Raids Somali HQ,” SITE Intel Group, October 24, 2014. Available at SITE.
 “KDF, Somalia National Army kill over 80 Al-Shabaab militants in Somalia,” Bar Kulan, October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.bar-kulan.com/2014/10/25/kdf-somalia-national-army-kill-over-80-al-shabaab-militants-in-somalia/
“Kenya Defence Forces, Somalia Nationa Army kill over 80 Al-Shabaab militants in Somalia,” Standard Digital, October 25, 2014. Available: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000139311/kdf-kill-over-80-al-shabaab-militants-in-somalia
“Al-shabab lose new areas in Lower Juba,” Goobjoog, October 27, 2014. Available: http://goobjoog.com/english/?p=5321
 “SOMALIA: Member of Parliament escapes assassination attempt,” RBC Radio, October 26, 2014. Available: http://www.raxanreeb.com/2014/10/somalia-member-of-parliament-escapes-assassination-attempt/