Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthi gunmen clash with tribal militants in Ibb; students protest al Houthi occupation in Sana’a; Yemeni military fires on Southern Movement protestors in Aden; AQAP assassinates two al Houthis in Sana’a
Horn of Africa: AMISOM and Somali National Army forces clash with al Shabaab militants in Galgudud region; Jubbaland security forces attack al Shabaab militants in Lower Jubba region; Uganda deploys 2,700 solider to Somalia
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthi gunmen continued to battle tribal militants in al Radma, Ibb, a small city 150 km south of Sana’a, on October 29, resulting in the deaths of seven al Houthis and ten tribesmen. Additionally, al Houthi militants shelled nearby Qifah, Ibb on October 29, although no casualties were reported in the incident.
- Students gathered to protest the al Houthi occupation of the University of Sana'a on October 29, demanding that the Dean remove the al Houthi militants within 72 hours. The protests came despite the al Houthis' October 28 announcement that they will remove their remianing protest camps in Sana's.
- The Yemeni military fired on Southern Movement Protestors in Khormaksar, Aden on October 29, injuring five demonstrators.
- Suspected al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) militants assassinated two al Houthi gunmen in Sana’a on October 29.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Ethiopian African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and Somali National Army (SNA) forces repelled an attack by al Shabaab militants, reportedly killing three militants in El Garas, Galgudud region on October 29.
- Jubbaland security forces seized Kudha, Lower Jubba region from al Shabaab militants, resulting unknown casualty figures, on October 27. Separately, Jubbaland security forces fought with al Shabaab militants in Bhirta Dheer, Janaay Abdalla and Kuda Island, Lower Jubba region on October 28, resulting in an unknown number of casualties. The incidents occurred on the same day as Kenyan AMISOM forces launched airstrikes against al Shabaab militants in congruent localities. 
- Uganda announced the deployment of 2,700 new troops to fight alongside AMISOM forces in Somalia and to bolster the security of Somalia’s presidency, parliament, airports and seaports. Ugandan security officials stated that the soldiers received specialized training from U.S. and French military advisers.
 “17 killed as Houthis, tribesmen clash in Yemen’s Ibb,” World Bulletin, October 29, 2014. Available: http://www.worldbulletin.net/news/147279/17-killed-as-houthis-tribesmen-clash-in-yemens-ibb
“Yemen: al Houthis shelling the town Qifah with artillery and occupying government facilities in Ibb,” Aden al Ghad, October 29, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://adenalghad.net/news/130181/#.VFD9XGddXTo
 “Dozens of students are demonstrating to demand to bring armed militias out of the University of Sana’a,” al Masdar, October 29, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://almasdaronline.com/article/63420
“Protest camps around Sana’a lifted,” Saba News, October 28, 2014. Available: http://www.sabanews.net/en/news373221.htm
 “Breaking: 5 injured, some seriously injured in a shooting by soldiers of the army of Khormaksar,” Aden al Ghad, October 29, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://adenalghad.net/news/130183/#.VFD9TmddXTo
 “The assassination of a member of the al Houthis in the north of the capital city, Sana’a,” Barakish, October 29, 2014 [Arabic]. Available: http://barakish.net/news02.aspx?cat=12&sub=23&id=224477
 “Somalia: Allied forces repel Al Shabaab attack, 3 militants killed,” Garowe News, October 29, 2014. Available: http://www.garoweonline.com/page/show/post/737/somalia-allied-forces-repel-al-shabaab-attack-3-militants-killed
 “IJA forces push al-Shabaab out of Kudha,” Sabahi Online, October 28, 2014. Available: http://sabahionline.com/en_GB/articles/hoa/articles/newsbriefs/2014/10/28/newsbrief-04
“Jubbaland Forces and Alshabaab Fight on the Outskirts of Kismayo,” Dalsan Radio, October 28, 2014. Available: http://dalsanradio.com/articles/9096/Jubbaland-Forces-and-Alshabaab-Fight-on-the-Outskirts-of-Kismayo
 Nicholas Bariyo, “Uganda Sends Fresh Troops to Somalia,” Wall Street Journal, October 28, 2014. Available: http://online.wsj.com/articles/uganda-sends-fresh-troops-to-somalia-1414501257