Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthi officials deny agreement with Yemeni government; airstrike targets AQAP militants in Shabwah; AQAP militants detonate IEDs near al Houthi marches in Amran; Yemeni Air Force bombs al Houthis in Marib and Amran; al Islah party tribesmen kill al Houthi leader in al Jawf
Horn of Africa: Somali security forces disrupt two suspected al Shabaab militants preparing roadside IED in Lower Jubba region; rival clans clash in Kenyan’s North Eastern Province
Yemen Security Brief
- Two al Houthi officials released statements on September 11 denying any agreement between the Yemeni government and al Houthis for Yemen’s crisis. The al Houthis currently remain in negotiations with the government.
- An airstrike struck a car traveling in Bihan, Shabwah on September 11, killing five suspected al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) militants. It is unclear who conducted the airstrike.
- Suspected AQAP militants detonated three improvised explosive devices (IED) near al Houthi marches in Amran on September 11, killing 11 people and wounding two others.
- The Yemeni Air Force bombed al Houthi sites in Marib and al Jawf on September 11.
- Al Islah party tribesmen fought with al Houthi militants in al Jawf on September 11, killing a senior al Houthi leader.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Jubbaland security forces arrested two suspected al Shabaab militants installing a roadside IED on a major road in Kismayo, Lower Jubba region on September 11.
- Degodia and Garre clan militia clashes killed two people in Mandera in Kenya’s North Eastern Province on September 11.