Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Saudi opposition groups warned Saudi authorities against threatening jailed Saudi Shia opposition scholar Sheikh Namr al-Namr, whom the Saudi Supreme Court requested be executed during his trial.
- An unnamed official in the Iranian embassy to Syria denied Arab media reports that an Iranian airplane had exploded at Damascus airport.
- Minister of Culture and Islamic Guidance Seyyed Mohammad Hosseini met Iraqi Higher Learning and Research Minister Ali al-Adeeb in Iraq and announced Iran is ready to send "instructors to Iraq to set up Persian-language teaching courses..." and also "...establish 'Iranology centers' in Iraq."
Military and Security
- Representative of the Supreme Leader to the IRGC Hojjat al-Eslam Ali Saidi said "our country's present problem with America is regarding issues of faith, and the Iranian nation has stood with the Supreme Leader with all its might against these conspiracies." Saidi added, "America is seeking to eliminate Islam from Iran and knows well that, so long as religion is at the center of government affairs in this country, it cannot implement its ominous plans."
- According to Fars News, BRICS country leaders attending the Fifth BRICS Summit in South Africa recognized Iran's right to use nuclear energy, opposed military intervention, and acknowledged negotiations as the only way to resolve the issue.
- Chinese supertanker "China Ocean Shipping" reportedly docked at an Iranian port the Persian Gulf. The tanker is the first to dock in an Iranian port since the implementation of European sanctions in July 2012.
Photo of the Day
- IRGC-sponsored Rahian Nour caravan visit Iran-Iraq war battlefields in southern Iran.