Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Head of the Front of the Followers of the Line of the Imam [Khomenini] and Supreme Leadership Habibollah Asgarowladi announced that his party will put forth candidates for the Summer 2013 presidential election in less than a month.
- Head of Representation of the Supreme Leader in Basij Hojjat al-Eslam Mohammad Reza Toyser Kani said, "the Basij's duty is creating passion and activity in society and will absolutely not support a candidate in the elections. Basij is a defender of Principlism and is proud to defend this rhetoric because the rhetoric of Principlism is same rhetoric of Imam [Khomeini] and Supreme Leader. If we say we defend the rhetoric of Principlism this does not mean that we want to support a Principlist individual..."
- The Ministry of Intelligence issued a 23 point warning to Iranian citizens in an effort to "preserve and expand public security and the support of Islamic Iran's citizens against dangers and designed security vulnerabilities."
- According to Fars News, armed individuals bombarded Christian neighborhoods in the city of Idlib in Northern Syria early this morning.
Military and Security
- Armed Forces General Staff Basij Affairs and Defense Culture Deputy BG Masoud Jazayeri said regarding Israeli PM Netanyahu’s recent apology to Turkish PM Erdogan over the 2010 Israeli raid on flotilla bound for Gaza, “[This] is the new game of the US, Israel, and Turkey to impact the regional resistance, specifically, the Islamic Awakening.” He added, “The composition of the Syrian opposition is an expression of the Syrian government and nation. The US, British, French, Arab reactionaries, Turks, and the Zionist regime currently make up the anti-Syrian ring. This combination is a good indicator of the anti-resistance front.”
- Senior Political Adviser to the Supreme Leader's Representative to the IRGC BG2C Yadollah Javani said, "The IRGC has one duty in the election and must act upon this duty. We as the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps say to those that attack the IRGC to look at the IRGC's place [in the elections] from a legal perspective. Some believe that the IRGC is a a military organization, that is, its place is in a military base.... This is not correct, because we have an Artesh that is one hundred percent military and is completely prepared to defend against a foreign attack. The existing philosophy of the IRGC is to protect the revolution and its achievements.... When the enemy attempts to influence our election, and when [Hillary] Clinton wishes to draw our election into chaos, the IRGC neutralizes [the enemy's] role. The enemy is trying to create security challenges for the election. It is the IRGC's duty to ensure the security of the country's election.... The IRGC is not supporting any single candidate. The mission of the IRGC is not to defend a candidate. It has never done this and it never will."
- Member of Parliament's National Security and Foreign Affairs Commission Safar Naimi said "it is better for America to come to their senses and formally recognize the positions of the Islamic Republic of Iran...Islam today has a power that it can destroy the empty drum of Israel whenever it wants."
Photo of the Day
- Pilgrims gather with Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.