Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- [E] Moqtada al-Sadr met with Lebanese leaders and Parliamentary members in Beirut to discuss the Syrian crisis.
- Lead Iranian negotiator with the US on Iraq issues Hassan Kazemi Qomi said that negotiations with the United States in this regard are unlikely to yield any real results, criticized the American diplomatic double-track strategy of “sticks and carrots," and stated that Americans are “dishonest…and irrational.”
Military and Security
- Deputy Chief of the Armed Forces General Staff MG Gholamali Rashid warned “enemies” that they "will certainly be defeated if [they] commit [a] strategic miscalculation.”
- Iraqi Vice President Khazir Al-Khazai announced after a meeting with Iranian Oil Minister Rostam Ghassemi that the two countries would cooperate in the energy sector and that Iran will provide technical training to Iraqi personnel. Iraq currently has 24 joint oil fields with Iran, Syria, and Kuwait, of which 15 are operational.
- Iran-Pakistan “Peace” pipeline construction began today in the presence of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Pakistani counterpart, Asef Ali Zardari.
Photo of the Day
- Presidents Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Asef Ali Zardari inaugurate the Iran-Pakistan “Peace” pipeline.