Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: Al Houthis shell mosque in Damaj, Sa’ada; Yemeni airstrikes in Abyan killed five militants; gunmen kill security officer in Hadramawt; ICRC evacuates injured people from Damaj; Yemeni foreign minister meets with U.S. official
Horn of Africa: Kenya indicates upcoming operations against al Shabaab; Somali forces conducted demining operations in Dhusamareb town, Galgudud region
Yemen Security Brief
- Al Houthis shelled the Dar al Hadith mosque in Damaj, Sa’ada governorate during morning prayers on November 8. The shelling killed two people and wounded six others.
- The Yemeni Ministry of the Interior announced that airstrikes in al Mahfad, Abyan governorate on November 7 killed five al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) members and wounded several others.
- Unknown gunmen riding a motorcycle shot and killed a security officer working at the Sayun airport in Hadramawt governorate on November 8.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) evacuated 44 injured people from Damaj, Sa’ada governorate on November 8.
- Foreign Minister Abu Bakr al Qirbi met with U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Middle East Affairs Barbara Leaf on November 8 to discuss the National Dialogue Conference (NDC).
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Kenyan AMISOM officials indicated upcoming operations against al Shabaab strongholds in Gedo and Middle and Lower Jubba regions by telling civilians to avoid militant camps and roadblocks, on November 7.
- Somali officials conducted demining operations in Dhusamareb town, Galgudud region following the death of two civilians to a mine, on November 8.