Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: ICRC evacuates casualties from Damaj; al Houthis looted military camps; Salafists destroy al Houthi vehicles; gunmen kidnap education minister of al Bayda; al Houthis march in Sana’a
Horn of Africa: Somali ministers pressure Prime Minister to step down; al Shabaab defectors inform intelligence agencies; Red Cross renovates Kismayo General Hospital
Yemen Security Brief
- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) evacuated 40 wounded people, including five children, from Damaj, Sa’ada governorate on November 14. The ICRC has evacuated over 100 casualties since the beginning of the recent clashes in Damaj.
- Military documents revealed that al Houthis looted weapons from military camps in Sa’ada. It stated there were eight camps in Sa’ada unable to carry out their missions because they lacked manpower or the leaders were cooperating with the al Houthis.
- Salafist forces destroyed seven armed pickups trying to smuggle weapons and fuel to al Houthis in Haradh, Sa’ada governorate on November 14.
- Aden Post reported an increase in al Houthi slogans and banners in Taiz, especially in Maysoud and Bani Omar. Hundreds of al Houthis also marched in Sana’a on November 14 for Ashura, a Shiite holiday commemorating the martyrdom of Hussein at Karbala.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Six Somali ministers threatened to step down in an effort to force the resignation of the Prime Minister on November 14.
- Al Shabaab defectors reportedly inform Somali intelligence agencies on al Shabaab movements and members.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross began renovation on Kismayo General Hospital on November 14.
 “Yemen: ICRC Evacuates 35 More Injured From Damaj,” ICRC, November 14, 2013. Available: http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/photo-gallery/2013/11-14-yemen-dammaj-wounded.htm
 “Disclosure of Looting Weapons from 8 Military Camps,” Aden-Post, November 14, 2013 [Arabic]. Available: http://aden-post.com/news/11213/
 “New Defeat for al Houthis in Haradh and Destruction of 7 Autos and a Number of Pickups,” Aden Post, November 14, 2013 [Arabic]. Available: http://aden-post.com/news/11206/
 “Wide spread of al Houthi Slogans in Bani Omar, Taiz,” Aden Post, November 14, 2013 [Arabic]. Available: http://aden-post.com/news/11212/
“Dozens of al Houthis Gather in Sana’a and Vow Revenge for the Killing of Hussein and to Restore the Rule of the House,” Aden Post, November 14, 2013 [Arabic]. Available: http://aden-post.com/news/11208/
 “Six ministers to step down to pressure resignation of PM,” Dalsan Radio, November 14, 2013. Available: http://dalsanradio.com/articles/2232/Six-ministers-to-step-down-to-pressure-resignation-of-PM
 “Somalia: New Militant Defectors Aid Spy Service,” AP, November 14, 2013. Available: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/somalia-new-extremist-defectors-aid-spy-service
 “ICRC refurbishes Kismayo General Hospital,” Somalia Media Monitoring, November 14, 2013. Available: http://somaliamediamonitoring.org/november-14-2013-morning-headlines/