Gulf of Aden Security Review
A regularly updated review of both Yemen and the Horn of Africa covering topics related to security, governance, and militant activity.
Yemen: GPC leader survives assassination attempt in Sana’a; GPC leader survives assassination attempt in Ibb; security forces clash with militants in Taiz; AQAP gunmen attack checkpoint in Hadramawt; Yemeni general accuses Muslim Brotherhood of killing his son
Horn of Africa: Somali forces kill six al Shabaab and capture village in separate operations in Hiraan region; al Shabaab assassinate Banadir region judge; Kenyan minister orders refugee camps closed; Somali forces clear landmines in Somaliland; Ugandan police warn of al Shabaab attack
Yemen Security Brief
- General People’s Congress (GPC) leader Sheikh Ahmad ‘Obad al Zawba survived an assassination attempt in the capital Sana’a on November 23. Gunmen on a motorcycle shot at him outside his hotel, but al Zawba escaped uninjured.
- Gunmen attempted to assassinate GPC leader Sheikh Jabran Basha, the Undersecretary of Financial and Administrative affairs in Ibb governorate on November 25. Gunmen shot at Basha in al ‘Udayn, Ibb governorate and killed one of his bodyguards. Basha escaped unharmed.
- Security forces clashed with militants in Kalaba, Taiz city on November 23. One person was killed and three were wounded, including two soldiers.
- Suspected al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) gunmen attacked a security checkpoint in Sayun, Hadramawt governorate on November. Three police officers were killed and two were wounded.
- Brigadier General Ali al Waqadi accused the Muslim Brotherhood of killing his eldest son with an improvised explosive device (IED) in al Radma, al Dhaleh governorate on November 24.
Horn of Africa Security Brief
- Somali forces killed six suspected al Shabaab militants in Beledweyne, Hiraan region on November 24.
- Somali and Djiboutian forces captured Buq-gosar village, Hiraan region during a raid that also killed multiple al Shabaab militants on November 25.
- Suspected al Shabaab militants assassinated Heliwa district Judge Hassan Tifow Mohamed in Banadir region on November 24.
- Kenyan Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Lenku ordered all refugee camps containing Somali refugees be closed on November 24.
- Somali forces began clearing landmines throughout Burao town of Togdher region, Somaliland on November 24.
- Ugandan police warned of a potential al Shabaab attack targeting the education sector, on November 23.