Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
(E) = Article in English
Military and Security
Iranian leaders blame the U.S. for the controversial anti-Islam movie and urge Muslims around the world to take action:
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast slams the "insult against sacred [beliefs] of Islam," and expressed his solidarity with "the Islamic community of believers." Mehmanparast accused the United States of spreading hatred.
- Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani says the "movie" shows the Americans have no respect for cultural pluralism: "It is such a colorful lie when Obama says I respect the culture of the Muslims."
- Ayatollah Hossein Nouri Hamadani warns the United States to "expect harsher reactions."
- Hojat al-Eslam Kazem Tabatabaei, Zabol Friday prayer leader urges the entire Islamic community of believers to mobilize for "a jihad to annihilate the Arrogance [reference to the United States]."
- Hassan Abbasi, Revolutionary Guards theoretician, says the attack against the United States consulate in Libya was "inspired by our deed [reference to the seizure of the United States embassy in Tehran in 1979]."
- The Student Basij condemns the "insulting movie against the Prophet of Islam," but concludes: "Either by design or accident, such insults will have a beneficial result. For every insult, a vast wave of protest is formed in Islamic states against the United States and its allies, which is in itself a unifying factor among Muslims of the world as if Islamic honor and sensitivity concerning their sacred [beliefs] is increasing." It urges the public "to demonstrate against this anti-Islamic move."
- The Student Basij organizes a rally in front of the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, which represents U.S. interests in Iran. Protesters burn American flag and chant slogans against American and Israel.
- Farda News depicts the unrest as the "second phase of the Islamic Awakening [Arab Spring]."
Photo of the Day
- Students protesting in front of the Swiss Embassy: "Hollywood=Zionwood.”