Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
(E) = Article in English
- Commentary on the announced parliamentary questioning session with Ahmadinejad:
- Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati, Tehran temporary Friday prayer leader: "No one disputes the legal right of the parliament, which is also enshrined in the constitution [summoning the president to the parliament for a questioning session]. So the principle is there, but one must see if doing so is expedient under present conditions. I will let the gentlemen think about it for themselves... We must see how the enemy will capitalize on this issue. Would they not talk about conflicts between the powers of the state? Would such a thing not enchant the enemies...? Should the president be invited to the parliament, it is not a war or a row, but a questioning session. Of course, I believe the parliamentarians could have asked their questions at an off the record session and receive answers. Now, if they want the questions on the record it is their own decision, but it must be done in a friendly not hostile way..."
- Asr-e Iran slams opponents for calling Ahmadinejad in to a parliamentary questioning session.
- Hojjat al-Eslam Abdollah Haji-Sadeqi, Deputy Representative of the Supreme Leader to the Revolutionary Guards, says he is concerned about "ill behavior of Ahmadinejad in parliament" if the parliamentary majority forces the president to a second questioning session.
- Mehdi Hashemi Rafsanjani, who was hospitalized, returns to Evin Prison.
- Ahmadinejad, participating at the Bali Democracy Forum, delivered his first public reaction to the result of the presidential election in the United States:
- "In practice, democracy has become a minority rule, and the majority of the people do not play a decisive role in fundamental decision making. Look at the state of affairs in Europe and the United States. Election, which is an arena reflecting the popular will has been transformed into the campaigning rivalry of big capital and the capitalists, and many independent, clean and competent elements do not have the opportunity to be present among the ruling elites."
- Policy analyst Pirouz Mojtahedzadeh says the Israeli "influence over US policy" has declined because of President Obama's reelection.
Military and Security
- Masoud Jazayeri, General Staff Cultural and Defense Propaganda commander, commenting on the November 1, 2012 incident with a US drone says "our armed forces will deal with any alien flying object entering our airspace."
- [E] Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi on Friday confirmed reports about Iran's confrontation with an enemy aircraft in the airspace over the Persian Gulf, saying that the aircraft was shooed away by Iranian fighter jets.
- Tehran Governor General Morteza Tamaddon says the "enemy" is using "extreme measures" and urges the wealthy to help the poor in the face of the sanctions regime, but stresses: "Resistance is the only way of defeating the sanctions. If we negotiate with the enemies it would be a sign of the efficacy of the sanctions and they will make more demands."
Photo of the Day