Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To subscribe to this daily newsletter, please visit this page, fill out the "New Subscribers" section, and check "Iran News Round Up" listed under "Projects."
(E) = Article in English
- News stories related to distribution of a CD entitled "Emergence [of the Imam of the Era] is close," which depicts Ahmadinejad as the interlocutor between the Imam of the Era and the public:
- A CD released by the Messianism Research Center counters claims made in the CD that supports Ahmadinejad.
- Pro-Ahmadinejad websites attack prominent members of the Iranian clergy who are critical of Ahmadinejad and call them "opponents of the Imam of the Era."
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi addressing people at the Jamkaran Mosque criticizes the CD: "There are some people who engage in suspicious acts related to the Imam of the Era and spread news about his emergence, so that they through lies spread hopelessness among the Muslims with regard to the sacred being of the Imam of the Era and the issue of Messianism. Doubtlessly, foreign hands are involved in this conspiracy."
- Hojjat al-Eslam Javad Jafari warns against the CD which promises that the Imam of the Era will emerge during the presidency of Ahmadinejad.
- Mahramaneh News, close to Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei:
- "In our society, we are now witnessing opposition to and sedition against the emergence of the Lord, Imam of the Era. There are people who are gradually showing their true face. People who desire the Imam of the Era in the veil of occultation in all eternity and probably deeply desire that the entire issue of emergence is nothing but a lie..."
- "…Ahmadinejad and Rahim-Mashaei, a devout Iranian man, struggled to energize the atmosphere of emergence in society..."
- "Those who oppose Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei and insult him are afraid of the emergence [of the Imam of the Era] and they are afraid of losing their business."
- Ayatollah Haeri Shirazi participating in the "election campaign headquarter of Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei" addresses the Mashaei supporters: "Rostam [a mythical heroic figure in Iran] took his arch and shot an arrow against Ashkbous, which pierced through his breast and six men behind him... The Islamic Republic was just like an arrow shot by the Imam of the Era against colonialism and suppression. One should not cry for the deceased Shah, but for the [destiny] of the current leaders... [Mir-Hossein] Mousavi has lost his support... as he gradually distanced himself from the Guardianship... the current president abides by the Guardianship."
- Ahmadinejad visits the Roqqayeh Orphanage on the occasion of the Nowruz.
- Ayatollah Nouri Hamadani visits Tanzania.
Military and Security
- According to Syrian opposition forces, the Revolutionary Guards has deployed "hundreds of units" to Syria to suppress the rising protests there.
- Parliamentarian Amir Taherkhani: "At fifty factories, workers have not received their labor pay for more than a year... Authorities say the number of factories involved is less than ten, but the real number is much higher... Think about how they are celebrating the New Year."
Religion, Society and Culture
- Jahan News publishes an article about the Nowruz in Shi’a tradition.
Photos of the Day
- Golestan Palace in Tehran.