Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To subscribe to this daily newsletter, please visit this page, fill out the "New Subscribers" section, and check "Iran News Round Up" listed under "Projects."
(E) = Article in English
- Ahmadinejad addresses the crowds in Qeshm as he starts a major bridge project connecting the Persian Gulf island to mainland Iran.
- Ayatollah Hassan Mamdouhi, Assembly of Experts member, criticizes Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei, Ahmadinejad's chief of staff: "Individuals who speak of the 'school of Iran,' are either not paying attention or are problematic since the 'school of Iran' without Islam reinvents the era of the Shah... festivities of Nowrouz must expand Islamic culture, not the 'school of Iran.'"
- Esfandiar Rahim-Mashaei, Ahmadinejad's chief of staff:
- "Our trip is not certain but we do have a plan to visit the United States..."
- "Since the United Nations declared Nowruz an international day, we, as the main country of the Nowruz... are responsible to celebrate this day at international level. In the past we only celebrated the Nowruz in our country, but... today, thanks to the help of the countries previously in the political sphere of Iran and in Iran's cultural sphere, these celebrations expanded..."
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast says the visit is nothing but a lie.
- The Foreign Ministry summons the Ambassador of Saudi Arabia in a reaction to "foreign military intervention in Bahrain."
- So too is the Ambassador of Switzerland which represents American interests summoned.
- News stories related to the King of Jordan's planned visit to Iran:
Parliamentarian Daryoush Qanbari: "Given the developments, movements and protests of the people of Jordan and the pro-democracy movement and anti-regime demonstrations of the people of this country, one must say that the visit of this country's king to the Islamic Republic is not expedient under present circumstances." Parliamentarians Heshmatollah Falahat-Pisheh, Mahmoudi Ahmadi Bighash, and Ahmad Tavakoli criticize the planned visit as well.
- According to Bighash, the visit has been canceled "due to violent popular protests and opposition of decision making centers."
- Parliamentarian Daryoush Qanbari: "Given the developments, movements and protests of the people of Jordan and the pro-democracy movement and anti-regime demonstrations of the people of this country, one must say that the visit of this country's king to the Islamic Republic is not expedient under present circumstances." Parliamentarians Heshmatollah Falahat-Pisheh, Mahmoudi Ahmadi Bighash, and Ahmad Tavakoli criticize the planned visit as well.
- [E] Iran's Foreign Minister dismisses false media reports that Jordanian King Abdullah II is to visit Iran to attend Nowruz celebrations.
- [E] National Security and Foreign Policy Commission welcomes Arab countries' agreement on imposing a no-fly zone over the Libyan airspace to deter Qaddafi's air raids on the people.
Military and Security
- Former Intelligence Minister Hojjat al-Eslam Gholam-Hossein Mohseni Ezhehi discusses the ministry's reactions to the events in the aftermath of the 2009 presidential election:
- "The Intelligence Ministry expected such events after the election but not at that level."
- "We reported that the enemy is planning a velvet or color revolution in the country, but some authorities of the regime ridiculed me... The only one paying attention to the reports of the Intelligence Ministry and the only one encouraging us was the Supreme Leader..."
- Major General Qasim Suleimani: "Commemorating the martyrs is a strong dam in the face of cultural assault."
- Khatam al-Anbia Construction Base at the National Stability seminar.
- [E] Navy commander stresses the need for the Navy to boost deployment outside the country's territorial waters as a strategic force.
- [E] Foreign Ministry Spokesman strongly rejects allegations towards Iran's support for Afghan militant groups and arms trafficking to Afghanistan.
- China helps build a $2 billion dam in Iran.
Religion, Society and Culture
- Historian Majid Heydari says the pre-Islamic Chaharshanbeh Suri fire festival is actually a Shi'a tradition.
Photo of the Day
- Supreme Leader visits strategic technology seminar.