Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Parliamentarian Hojjat al-Eslam Mohammad-Reza Ashtiani urges the government to reconsider dismissal of Qom’s governor general.
- Ahmadinejad will not attend the Olympic Games in London.
Military and Security
- [E] Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said that the US war mongering threats against Iran are nothing new, and reminded that Washington's threats have never been put to practice.
- Hojjat al-Eslam Kazem Sediqi, temporary Tehran Friday prayer leader:
- "In these negotiations [with the 5+1 Group] Iran put a forceful show. The hegemonic powers lack logic. In the course of the negotiations, through threats and pressure, they demonstrated that they are not interested in negotiations... They should know for certain that we blossomed under pressure. For us, the war [with Iraq] was a university and the martyrs are the role models of this nation. Sanctions helped us progress. And the more they sanction us, the better our progress, solidarity and unity will be. Rather than pressuring us, these sanctions pressure their own population... The Arrogant [powers] are deceptive. They are trying to change the regime, but this regime is the result of people’s hard work. The people themselves established this regime and safeguarded it..."
- According to Fars News' analyst, the European Union has in practice embargoed Iran's oil for a long time, and the July 1, 2012 deadline is only a "psychological operation." Fars News also writes that the 19 countries which the United States has exempted from its oil embargo against Iran in reality reduced their oil imports from Iran in a symbolic way just to avoid confrontation with the United States.
Photo of the Day
- Commemoration of the martyrs of the Islamic Republican Party Office bombing on June 28, 1981.