Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Military and Security
- Mashregh News refutes a claim by Jane's Defence that the forward looking infrared (FLIR) cameras on an Iranian aircraft is photoshopped.
- After the launch of the satellites Omid, Rasad 1 and Navid, Iran is planning to launch the satellite Fajr into orbit.
- Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami, temporary Tehran Friday prayer leader:
- "The Iranian negotiation team pursued three strategies in Moscow: The might of Islamic Iran, logical behavior, and initiative... The negotiation team preserved the dignity of Iran..."
- "The 5+1 Group has only two options. In order not to have negotiation over the negotiations, what they want can only be achieved if they admit to the rights of the Iranian nation... And the second option, which they seem to pursue, is the strategy of dialogue and threats... They must know that the Iranian nation has for the past thirty three years demonstrated that it will not be intimidated and will resist. We have certain logic, which is that nuclear rights are for all and the nuclear arm is for none. This is a humane logic and it is shameful for international organizations to launch attacks against us when we say that we don't want the nuclear weapon because of our theology."
Political analyst Sadeq Zibakalam:
- "In Iran, the state media made the claim that the Moscow negotiations, despite attempts by the Westerners, did not end in failure. This is totally contrary to reality. If the Westerners desired a fruitless negotiation with Iran, why did they to come to Moscow?"
- "Not only during these negotiations, but also before and even in the future, certain intellectual and ideological currents have a political/ideological view on Iran's negotiations with the great powers of the world and are trying to make the claim that in the Moscow negotiations we once more dealt a blow to the mouth of the West, we said ‘no’ to the Westerners and proved ourselves right."
- "The Islamic Republic of Iran negotiation team demanded practical steps from the other side before taking practical steps itself."
- "The Moscow negotiations were neither defeat nor victory. The only achievement of the Moscow negotiations was to open the path of further negotiations in order to give and get concessions. A path which opened to both parties in Istanbul."
- [E] Senior Advisor of the Iranian Supreme Leader for International Affairs Ali Akbar Velayati reiterated that Tehran is ready to continue talks with the world powers, provided that they recognize the country's rights based on international treaties and regulations.
- Tabnak reports on rising prices in Iran.
- [E] Head of Iran's Expediency Council Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani urged all the Iranian political factions and groups to adopt more measures to strengthen national unity and counter the plots hatched by enemies against the country.
- [E] Iranian Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi warned of enemies' plots against the country, and said the enemies are striving to separate Islam from Iran.
Photo of the Day