Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To subscribe to this daily newsletter, please visit this page, fill out the "New Subscribers" section, and check "Iran News Round Up" listed under "Projects."
(E) = Article in English
- Alef News Agency releases a document in which a young Ali Khamenei calls himself Zia al-Din [the light of the faith].
- Ahmadinejad publishes his open letter to the members of parliament:
- "Unfortunately, the honorable speaker of the parliament [Ali Larijani], throughout assessment and approval of this bill [the fifth economic development plan], despite guidance of the Supreme Leader and on some occasions disregarding the internal regulations of the Islamic Consultative Assembly [the parliament] and contrary to the constitution..., has persistently intervened in appointment and dismissal of executive authorities..."
- "Attempts made by the leadership of the [Expediency] Council and some of its members, especially the honorable chairman [Rafsanjani] along with cooperation of the honorable head of the Judiciary [Sadegh Larijani] in support of parliamentary and judiciary intervention in decision making with regard to the National Development Fund and appointment and dismissal of the Central Bank director general, are a clear innovation which not only violate the constitution, but also dilute management of the country."
- Rafsanjani: "During the past twenty years, the government of Tunisia had based its authority upon force of the police and security forces and suppression of the people. The result was the revolt of the people who were tired of injustice and power grab and they ended dictatorship in that country... The Islamic revolution is a blessing which we all must cherish. Through the lessons we take from the history of Islam, we should continue this path in a way that it is connected to the government of the Imam of the Era."
- Jahan News releases a biography of Ali-Akbar Salehi, acting foreign minister.
- Manouchehr Mottaki says Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei was instrumental in his dismissal as foreign minister.
- Parliamentarian Mostafa Kavakebian criticizes Ahmadinejad for not allowing Tehran Mayor Qalibaf to accept a prize in Washington D.C.
- According to Jahan News analyst Muqtada al-Sadr's return to Iraq heralds renewed Shi'a unity with special relations with Iran, which is a "nightmare for the United States."
- [E] The Iranian Foreign Ministry deplored the recent deadly terrorist attack in Moscow's Domodedovo airport, which killed at least 36 and injured more than 130 people.
- [E] Ahmadinejad’s advisor says the western countries and the Zionist regime are propagating Islamophobia in the world in a bid to portray Islam as an enemy to the world nations and provoke a belligerent attitude towards it.
Military and Security
- Brigadier General Qassem Suleimani is promoted to Major General.
- Qassemi, Khatam al-Anbia Construction Base of the Revolutionary Guards chief, says his unit does not pursue profit.
- The Revolutionary Guards launches a new monthly magazine called Sepah Khabar [Guards News].
- Sobh-e Sadegh publishes an interview with Rasoul Rahimi, head of the Revolutionary Guards Command Council.
- Ahmadinejad addresses the people of Gilan: "The Zionists, some colonialist governments and European and American power holders are not interested in the negotiations between Iran and the 5+1 Group to be conducted in a good manner... If you are interested in the success of negotiations, you should free yourselves from the pressure of narrow minded and uncultured individuals so that conditions for cooperation are prepared. The Iranian nation is in favor of logic, justice and respect, but it resists the bullies..."
- Said Jalili, Supreme National Security Council secretary, says the Western countries "did not want to reach an agreement" with the Islamic Republic in Istanbul.
- [E] Chinese Deputy Foreign Minister Wu Hailong underlined that more confidence-building measures are needed in talks between Iran and the Group 5+1 to achieve satisfactory results.
- Ahmadinejad, addressing authorities in Gilan province, says reform of the subsidies system "was the scheme of the Imam of the Era."
- Economy and Finance Minister Shams al-Din Hosseini's comment that the government can't afford to allocate "$2 billion to Tehran Metro because the Foreign Exchange Reserve is empty," provokes media reactions.
- Hojjat al-Eslam Hassan Rowhani warns against youth unemployment which according to him is as high as 30%.
- [E] The fuel sanctions imposed by the western countries against Iran have failed to harm the country, Iranian Oil Minister Massoud Mir-Kazzemi said, stressing that Iran is now fully capable of meeting the country's domestic needs to fuel.
- Oil Minister Masoud Mir-Kazemi says the petroleum industry is in need of $150 billion investment in the course of the fifth economic development program.
- [E] Turkish Energy and Natural Resources Minister Taner Yildiz reiterated Ankara's enthusiasm for the further development of mutual cooperation with Iran in oil and gas fields.
Photos of the Day
- Public hanging of an individual accused of rape and murder.