Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To subscribe to this daily newsletter, please visit this page, fill out the "New Subscribers" section, and check "Iran News Round Up" listed under "Projects."
(E) = Article in English
- Jahan News explains the mystery behind installation of a projector and light reflector inside Supreme Leader Khamenei's car.
- Ahmadinejad attacks the parliament for dismissing transportation minister Hamid Behbahani, calls the parliamentary vote of no confidence "illegal."
- Tehran Mayor Mohammad-Baqer Qalibaf leaves hospital following a short stay.
- According to Khabar Online, 250 Oil Ministry executives have been sacked during the past seventeen months.
- Parliamentarian Zohreh Elahian says change in Egypt will strengthen Tehran/Cairo relations.
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi: "The enemies confess the role of the Islamic revolution in regional developments including Tunisia and Egypt."
- [E] Iranian MPs sign bill on cutting ties with Britain.
Military and Security
- Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi:
- "The idea of fast boats - coupled with faith, resolve, and persistence of the warriors was formulated to counter the giant aircraft carriers of the United States. It [the idea] imposed itself upon them and led to the confessions of the Americans that they were defeated when facing Iranian warriors in the sea. The fast boats opened a new chapter in their calculations..."
- "The fast boats were so successful that they led to the formation of the Revolutionary Guards Navy. This success also led to doctrinal change in various fields..."
- "This event has raised many lessons of innovation in strategic, operational, tactical, industrial and research fields and the issue of the fast boats has become a very important issue in the world. For us it is a very efficient and cheap, operational doctrine..."
- "High speed, maneuverability, stability, concealment, camouflage and the ability to carry the right arms is what we demand of a 9 to 20 meters long boat... For the time being we have 60 to 70 knot boats and in the future we must reach 80, 90 and 100 knot. This is a necessity of us, but we must also pay attention to stability and ability to carry arms..."
- Former Revolutionary Guards chief Rahim Safavi:
- "The speed of the developments of the revolution of the Egyptian people is like the revolution of the Iranian nation. The lightening speed of the revolution of the people of Egypt is absolutely not controllable or manageable for the Americans, the Westerners and the Zionists."
- Basij Chief Mohammad-Reza Naghdi says the Islamic revolution of Iran is "the mother of all freedom-seeking revolutions of the world."
- Naghdi says the Basij has had "friendly meetings with 4000 deviating individuals since the election." [E] IRGC Commander says Egypt's events revealed contradictory nature of US policy in the region.
- [E] Top Iranian military commander announces mass-production of smart anti-ship ballistic missiles.
- [E] Iran and Oman to increase military ties.
- [E] Ahmadinejad unveils four new domestically-produced satellites.
Religion, Society and Culture
- Islamic Republic of Iran Voice and Vision prohibits broadcast of cooking programs preparing foreign dishes.
- [E] Tehran’s stock exchange index hits record high.
- [E] Iranian Foreign Minister announces agreement with Turkey to increase trade to 30 billion a year.
Photo of the Day
- Rafsanjani and his granddaughter Mona Lahouti.