Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Will Fulton and Iran Intern Amir Toumaj. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Former Defense Minister Akbar Torkan is appointed Senior Advisor to the President and Head of the Presidential Advisors Group.
- Interior Minister Abdol Reza Rahmanikeh stated, “Political leanings are respected, but partisanship in the Interior Ministry is prohibited and our duty is political management.”
- Semi-official Fars News Agency reports that “radical reformists” are pressuring President Hassan Rouhani to appoint a Reformist for the Parliamentary Deputy to the President position, after the Parliament did not cast votes of confidence for three minister nominees related to Reformist party. Fars speculates that their motivation is to “pursue their matters in Parliament and is even a path for their [re-]entry into Parliament.”
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei discussed bilateral relations with Oman and regional developments in a meeting with Omani Sultan Qaboos Bin Said al-Said:
- “There are multiple fields for the greater expansion of relations between the two countries in various arenas, especially in the [natural] gas sector.”
- “The region is currently in a sensitive and dangerous circumstance that requires more coordination between the two countries.”
- “The primary reason for the region’s current situation is interference from outside of the region.”
- “Unfortunately, with the support of some regional countries, a takfiri group has formed that is in conflict with all Muslim groups, but the supporters of this current must know that this fire will engulf them as well.”
- “The corrupt Zionist regime, by possessing vast stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, is a very dangerous and serious threat for the region.”
- “The region requires general security, and this important goal will be fulfilled only by truly prohibiting weapons of mass destruction in the region.”
- Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan also met with the Omani Sultan and discussed defense cooperation between the two countries.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesman Abbas Eraghchi warned against any Syria military measures, following reports of American intervention. Eraghchi stated, “Global public opinion has not forgotten the creation of a false atmosphere against Iraq regarding weapons of mass destruction and then a military [action] against that country…”
Military and Security
- Armed Forces General Staff Deputy BG Masoud Jazayeri warned the United States against any Syrian military intervention and stated, “America knows that attacking Syria is a red line. In the case of any military intervention, irreversible outcomes will ensue.”
- IRGC Ground Forces Commander Brig. Gen. Mahmoud Pakpour announced that forces deploying out of the IRGC Quds Base in Iran's southeast have destroyed “12 terrorist teams” since 2012.
- Head of the Basij Organization BG Mohammad Reza Naghdi stated, “America neither has the economic foundation nor the necessary military morale for intervening in Syria; of course they can test themselves.”
- Artesh Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Base Commander BG Farzad Esmaili stated, “Future wars will be media and intelligence conflicts, and in such circumstances the duty of news agencies and media, especially IRNA, will be very important and dangerous.” He then announced the production of advanced radars “with high capacity to discover radar evading aircrafts.”
- Artesh Khatam al-Anbia Air Defense Executive Officer Amir Shahrokh Shahram said, “Our first priority is defending important areas. Thanks be to God, in addition to forming very good defenses in the country, especially in defense of nuclear sites, we have acquired the capability to confront any type of threat with attention to cutting-edge weapons, with various exercises [in which a mock enemy attacked].”
Head of IRGC Public Relations BG 2C Ramazan Sharif discussed a foreign media campaign against the IRGC and downplayed IRGC influence in politics:
- “Multiple foreign media networks are constantly seeking to change public opinion regarding the [IRGC] through vast media attacks.”
- “The presence of directors or some officials who held positions in [the IRGC] at a certain point in time in the country’s various sectors does not signify that they are [still IRGC offciials] and await [IRGC] orders. Rather, this matter demonstrates the [IRGC’s] high capacity in training capable directors for Islamic Iran.”
- Following news that the Iranian economy grew -5.4% in 2012-2013, Chief of Staff to the President Mohammad Nahavandian announced that the administration’s 100 day economic plan includes restoring stability to the market and reducing massive inflation.
Photo of the Day
- Omani Sultan Qaboos Bin Said al-Said meets with Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani in Tehran.