Pakistan Security Brief
Pakistan Security Brief - October 1, 2009�
The Pakistani Taliban confirmed the death of its leader's brother following a clash with security forces; six militants were killed in a drone strike in North Waziristan on Wednesday; video footage allegedly depicts Pakistani soldiers beating suspected militant detainees; the US insisted in a message delivered through the US embassy in Islamabad that Mullah Omar and Osama bin Laden are in Pakistan.
- The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has confirmed that the leader of the TTP Hakimullah Mehsud's brother, Kalimullah Mehsud, was killed on Monday in North Waziristan Agency in a clash with security forces.� He was buried in North Waziristan on Wednesday.� No statement has been released by Hakimullah pertaining to his brother's death.
- Six militants were killed in a drone strike in North Waziristan Agency on Wednesday.� It is rumored that some of the individuals killed were Arabs and that the compound struck is allied with the Pakistani Taliban commander Hafiz Gul Bahadur.
- A video released on Facebook allegedly shows uniformed Pakistani soldiers beating suspected Taliban militants while police officers watch.� It is likely that the video was filmed during the recent Pakistani offensive in the Swat region.� This video could be the first proof supporting accusations that the Pakistani military participates in abuse of suspected Taliban detainees.
- US aid to Pakistan is set to triple under the recently approved Kerry-Lugar bill over the next five years.� In this bill, Pakistan will receive 1.5 billion dollars a year to be used for "combined security, economic and development assistance."� After being approved by the Senate and the House of Representatives on Wednesday the bill must be signed by Obama to go into effect.� The aid will be funneled through the US Embassy in Islamabad.
- The US continues to insist that Osama bin Laden and Mullah Omar are alive in Pakistan.� This comes in a message from the Deputy Chief of the Mission at the US Embassy Gerald M. Feierstein in Islamabad.
" Hakeemullah Mehsud's brother killed: officials", Dawn, October 1, 2009. Available at http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/provinces/09-hakeemullahs-mehsuds-brother-killed-officials--szh-01 "Taliban leader's brother 'killed', BBC, October 1, 2009. Available at �http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8284376.stm
 'Six more killed in US drone attack in NWA", The News, October 1, 2009. Available at http://thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=24779
 Syed Shoaib Hasan, "Video shows Pakistani army 'abuse", BBC, October 1, 2009. Available at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8285564.stm
"US Congress clears Pakistan aid", BBC, October 1, 2009. Available at �http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8284455.stm
 "Taliban launching activities from Quetta: US", Geo TV, October 1, 2009. Available at http://www.geo.tv/10-1-2009/50074.htm