Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analyst Mehrdad Moarefian and Iran Intern Amir Toumaj, with contributors Chris Rawlins, Marie Donovan, Warren Marshall, and Dianna Timmerman. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
Key takeaway: Jafari said US conduct in the region is proof of Washington’s “surrender” to the regime’s authority. Nuclear negotiations with the P5+1 have been extended to July 1, 2015.
IRGC Commander Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari pointed to the Islamic Republic’s regional influence and said, “The Americans’ surrender to the authority of Iran is apparent by their behavior in the region and in the [nuclear] negotiations…” Jafari added that Palestinian resistance forces are reinforced with missiles that cover “all” the Palestinian territories.
IRGC Quds Force Commander Major General Qassem Soleimani reportedly helped lead Kurdish Peshmerga and Iraqi Shi’a militia forces to launch a major operation against ISIL militants in Julula, Diyala Province. The close proximity of Julula to Iran’s Western border suggests that Soleimani would likely lead efforts to secure the Iraqi territory.
The deadline to reach a final nuclear deal between Iran and the P5+1 was extended to July 1, 2015 and is based on the original Joint Plan of Action signed in Geneva on November 24, 2013. Tehran is to receive $4.2 billion in frozen assets over the course of eight payments. Head of the Iran and China Chamber of Commerce, meanwhile, announced that China has agreed to invest “between 40 and 50 billion” in Iranian projects in exchange for making $22 billion in import payments to Iran.
Jafari: “The Americans’ surrender to the authority of Iran is apparent”: IRGC Commander Maj. Gen. Mohammad Ali Jafari spoke on the nuclear negotiations and the missile strength of the armed resistance in Palestine:
- “The Americans’ surrender to the authority of Iran is apparent by their behavior in the region and in the [nuclear] negotiations, and the issues of the enemy in combat with Iran were fully felt. Of course, their excesses in some cases are due to their fierce temper.”
- “The main elements of our power are in the hands of God and country. We should not seek our dignity and authority from the foreigners.”
- “Our problem is that we don’t have a broader outlook; the Supreme has also stressed this issue…If we don’t have a comprehensive and broader outlook, we will go wrong in all fields and decision-making, even the negotiations and nuclear issues.”
- “Today, the whole area of the occupied territories are covered by the missiles of the resistance, and this means the collapse of the Zionist regime; of course, it does not end there; final victory will certainly occur.”
- “Our people are willing to maintain their authority and values, and will bear the economic pressure.” (Sepah News)
- Senior official criticizes Obama on sanctions removal timeline. Mohsen Rezaei described the seriousness of the Iranian nuclear negotiations team in striking a deal that lifts all sanctions. The Expediency Discernment Council Secretary criticized President Barack Obama for failing to provide clarity regarding the timeline for lifting sanctions. (ISNA)
Absurd to trust “Great Satan.” IRGC Brig. Gen. Massoud Jazayeri stated that all of the problems of the Muslim world can be blamed on the West, or “Arrogant Powers,” especially the US. The AFGS Headquarters Basij Affairs and Culture Deputy said that while America officially claims it does not interfere with Iran’s internal affairs, there has not been a single day in the past thirty years that America has not interfered in Iranian affairs. Jazayeri further added that America is engaged in a “cultural war” against Iran. (Defa Press)
- Iran’s defense industry is self-sufficient. IRGC Brig. Gen. Mohammad Reza Naghdi stated that despite sanctions against Iran’s defense industry, the sector has grown significantly. The Head of the Basij Organization added that Iran is capable of manufacturing any weapon and that this is a major part of the “resistance economy.” (Defa Press)
- Takfiri ideology is against Muslims’ interests. Ali Akbar Velayati said the actions of takfiri groups distort the face of Islam, claiming that the roots of this ideology stem from a foreign plot to create division among Muslims and Islamic countries. The Foreign Policy Advisor to the Supreme Leader highlighted the presence of Sunni clerics at the World Conference on Extremist and Takfiri Currents the and said all of the clerics participating in the conference believe the takfiris’ actions are detrimental to Islam and that Muslims must unite in order to solve this problem. (ABNA)
- Nuclear negotiations extended to July 1, 2015. Iran and the P5+1 announced an extension of nuclear negotiations based on the previous interim agreement; Joint Plan of Action signed in November, 2013. Tehran is to receive $4.2 billion in frozen assets over the course of eight payments. (IRNA) (Fars News Agency)
Regional Developments and Diplomacy
Quds Force Commander reportedly involved in major offensive in Iraq. Qassem Soleimani reportedly helped lead Kurdish Peshmerga forces and Iraqi Shi’a militias in launching a successful operation against ISIL militants in Jalula, Diyala Province. (BAS News)
- China agrees to finance billions in Iranian projects. Head of the Iran and China Chamber of Commerce Asadollah Asgarowladi announced that China has agreed to invest “between 40 and 50 billion” in Iranian projects in exchange for making $22 billion in imports payments to Iran. (Tasnim News Agency)
- Putin reassures Rouhani of sanctions relief. President Hassan Rouhani held a telephone conversation with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin about the ongoing nuclear talks between Iran and the P5+1. President Putin said that Moscow would not allow sanctions against Iran to be imposed for the long-term without some relief. Putin suggested there should be gradual relief of sanctions and that China is on board with Russia in regards to this matter. (Fars News Agency)
- Conference on Iranian-Russian strategic partnership held in Moscow. A conference on “strategic partnership” between Iran and Russia was held Monday morning in Moscow. The conference was attended by Iranian and Russian professors and consisted of sessions on bilateral, regional, and global cooperation. Former Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Hadi Soleimanpour, and Iranian ambassador to Russia Mehdi Sanaei delivered introductory remarks. (Fars News Agency)
Military and Security
- Iran Navy repels attack on Iranian oil tanker. Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari announced that pirates in a speedboat fired on an Iranian vessel in the Gulf Aden. The Artesh Navy Commander added that Iranian naval forces repulsed the attack. (Defa Press)