Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Presidential crisis:
- Davoud Ahmadinejad, brother of the president: "I have many documents about the current of sedition showing that this group only wants to eradicate the regime of the Guardianship of the Jurist in this country..."
- Mehdi Khorshidi, Ahmadinejad's son in law, says "the current of deviation" had tried to force him to leave his position as secretary of Ahmadinejad's council of advisers.
- Judiciary Spokesman Hojjat al-Eslam Gholam-Hossein Mohseni Ezhehi: "The current of deviation is deeply involved in economic corruption... but corruption has spread to other fields as well..."
- Hojjat al-Eslam Naser Saqa-ye Biria, former Ahmadinejad clerical affairs adviser, addresses theological seminarians at the Masoumieh Seminary in Qom: "The path of deviation [within the Ahmadinejad cabinet] chose the policy of peaceful coexistence with the regime during the first six years and [the policy of] breaking the structure during the last two years. If that’s true and if they want to break the structure or challenge the regime contrary to the law, we should show the greatest vigilance..."Saqa-ye Biria also warned against the reform movement which "may think it has gained strength because of these events.”
- The Islamic Republic and Burkina Faso enforce bilateral visa waiver for visits shorter than four weeks.
- [E] Ahmadinejad cautions “puppet” regimes in the region not to be fooled into serving Washington's interests since the United States betrays everyone sooner or later.
- [E] The Iranian foreign ministry spokesman said that the allegations raised by US President Barack Obama at a pro-Israel lobby meeting in Washington in recent days served as a part of the plot hatched by the US and the Zionist regime to spread Iranophobia.
- [E] Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast lashed out at Washington's “hypocritical and double-standard policies” in the region, and said the US officials were seeking to project the blame on others to divert the public opinion from their crimes and wrongdoings.
- [E] Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei downplayed the attempts made by the enemies to impede the Islamic Revolution, and said that the Iranian nation is continuing its path towards progress and prosperity vigorously.
Military and Security
- Intelligence Minister Hojjat al-Eslam Heydar Moslehi says no government executive is among the thirty "spies" in the ministry's custody. Moslehi also says most of the "spies" are "scientists" who were approached by foreign "spy agencies" when they were abroad.
- Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi says Qiam 1 ballistic missile has reached industrial production level and will be delivered to the Revolutionary Guards Air Force.
- [E] The Iranian defense ministry launched several different types of vessels in the country's Southern port cities of Khorramshahr and Bandar Abbas on Tuesday.
Gholam-Reza Mesbahi-Moqadam, parliamentary Economic Reform Scheme Committee chairman:
- "The income generated from reform of the subsidies system in 2011/2012 is only sufficient for paying cash handouts to the public and subsidizing the productive sector is out of reach..."
- "This is in contrary to the goals of lawmakers and to the goal of reforming the subsidies system. One of the most important goals of enacting this law was to help production."
- A Chinese company participates in the second round of negotiations concerning a $5 billion methanol plant in Mahshahr.
Photo of the Day
- Supporters mourn the death of Naser Hejazi, veteran footballer.