Iran News Round Up
A selection of the latest news stories and articles published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Analysts.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by Ali Alfoneh, Ahmad Majidyar and Michael Rubin. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
- Political analyst Amir Mohebian discusses Ahmadinejad's political future:
- "There are several likely scenarios. One is that he, as a former president, becomes a member of the Expediency Council... Second, he could become the leader of a party or a political group, establish a party, and try to play a role in future presidential or parliamentary elections... He could also play the role of domestic opposition to the regime... He could choose political isolation and not be present in the political arena... but he could also be the invisible leader of currents supporting him..."
Reactions to the union between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain:
- During a parliamentary debate, Speaker of the Parliament Ali Larijani said: "No one can easily swallow Bahrain." Parliamentarian Hossein-Ali Shahriari continued: "Bahrain was Iran's fourteenth province until 1971 and became independent following the Shah's treason and the parliament's shameful rule... If something must happen to Bahrain, this country is rightfully the Islamic Republic of Iran's and not Saudi Arabia's... I demand all politicians of this country to pursue this case. Bahrain must be handed over to the Islamic Republic of Iran and not to the Al Saud clan..."
- 190 parliamentarians sign a letter of protest against Bahrain-Saudi union:
- "The devout and honorable people of Bahrain, in particular the theologians, the youth and lionesses of Bahrain have during the past 15 months demonstrated that Islamic honor, national sentiments, their clenched fists and their shouts of 'Allah is Great' are stronger than the cumulative powers of the aggressors and the occupying forces, especially Saudi Arabia. The blood of the Bahraini Shi'a prevails over the swords of the invaders. And the proof of the defeated Peninsula Shield Force is the Pakistani mercenaries who were deployed to this country. All those who assault Bahrain, suppress the innocent people of Bahrain, martyred tens of people, wounded hundreds and imprisoned thousands of others still have not managed to... crush their will of steel... Today, Saudi Arabia, following this scandalous defeat, has decided... to unite Bahrain as an independent Islamic-Arab member state of the United Nations with Saudi Arabia... Saudi Arabia and the rulers of Bahrain should know that this unwise move will doubtlessly strengthen the unity and solidarity of the Bahraini people who will face the occupiers and will transfer the crisis of Bahrain into Saudi Arabia, which will further destabilize the region and increase the existing problems. We, the deputies of the Great Iranian nation, apart from condemning this unwise move, stress that you can't calm the nations with force and political pressure, and we declare our support to the brave people of Bahrain and for the territorial integrity of this state."
- Iran and IAEA negotiators end a 5-hour meeting without any comments to the press.
- Farda News discusses the Baghdad negotiations as "an opportunity for the West to escape economic nightmare and political challenges."
- According to the Central Bank, inflation reached 21.8% in March.
- According to Shafaf's analysis of the unemployment rate during the past 15 years, the majority of the unemployed population is concentrated in the urban centers, since the trend of migration from land to the cities has continued. Shafaf also quotes contradicting unemployment rates by the Central Bank and by the government:
- According to the Central Bank, in 2010-2011, 22.5% of the households had no employed members; 55.4% had only one of their members employed; 17.2% of the households had two members employed; and 4.9% had three members employed.
- The government, however, claims it has created 2.5 million jobs last year.
- Following prohibition against use of foreign email addresses in banking, Chapar is presented as the main electronic mail service provider.
Iran in the Afghan Media
- Abdul Hamid Mobarez, the head of Afghanistan’s National Journalist Union, responds to the Iranian government’s request that the Afghan media not publish anti-Iran commentaries: “Iran has no right to influence the Afghan media.”
- Afghan police detained an Iranian citizen on the charge of drug smuggling in western Herat province.
Photo of the Day