Iran News Round Up
The Iran News Round Up ran from February 2009-September 2018. Visit the Iran File for the latest analysis.
A selection of the latest news stories and editorials published in Iranian news outlets, compiled by AEI Critical Threats Project Iran Analysts Mehrdad Moarefian, Marie Donovan, and Paul Bucala, with contributors Ryan Melvin and Jordan Olmstead. To receive this daily newsletter, please subscribe online.
(E) = Article in English
Excerpts of these translations may only be used with the expressed consent of the authors.
Key takeaway: Expediency Discernment Council Secretary Mohsen Rezaei warned that the U.S. is pursuing “ominous objectives” in order to undermine Iran. Russian President Vladimir Putin’s advisor revealed that Russia is modernizing the S-300 surface-to-air missile system that will be sent to Iran.
Mohsen Rezaei stressed that the nuclear agreement “is being reviewed verbatim” but stated that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “has the first and last line on the nuclear deal.” The Expediency Discernment Council Secretary thanked the nuclear negotiating team for defending “the rights of the nation” during the negotiations.
Presidential Aide for Military Technical Cooperation Vladimir Kozhin stated that Russia will send a more advanced version of the S-300 surface-to-air missile system to Iran.
The Critical Threats Project of the American Enterprise Institute has created several pages on www.irantracker.org to help clarify the hyper complex language of sanctions relief under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and to provide additional information about some of the entities that will be freed of international restrictions.
AEI Resident Fellow J. Matthew McInnis explains how recent meetings between Hamas and Saudi leaders could put a new wrinkle in Iran’s growing contest with Saudi Arabia for power and influence in his most recent blog post, "President Rouhani lays out vision for the new Middle East.”
- Rezaei: The nuclear “negotiating team observed the redlines.” Mohsen Rezaei thanked the Iranian nuclear negotiating team and reassured the domestic audience that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA, will be scrutinized carefully. The Expediency Discernment Council Secretary stressed, “In Iran, the articulation of this agreement is being reviewed verbatim and it is the Supreme Leader who has the first and last word on the nuclear deal.” Rezaei added, “With respect to the red line of national interests, Iran's nuclear negotiating team defended the rights of the…nation with [their] high academic skills, experience and authority.” Rezaei claimed that the U.S. is pursuing “ominous objectives” in order to undermine Iran and stated:
- “The Americans thought that the [2009 presidential election protests] were a good chance to place heavy sanctions on Iran.” Rezaei added that despite all the pressure the Iranian nation managed the domestic economy with self-sufficiency and resistance.
- “We [Iran] declare to the world that we pursue the rights of nations, regional security, and the protection of national interests in Islamic Iran…” (Jamaran)http://www.jamaran.ir/fa/n95088/%D8%B3%D8%B1%D9%88%DB%8C%D8%B3_%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C_%D8%A7%D8%B5%D9%84%DB%8C/%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B2%D9%86%D8%B4%D8%B1/%D8%B1%D8%B6%D8%A7%DB%8C%DB%8C__%D8%AA%DB%8C%D9%85_%D9%85%D8%B0%D8%A7%DA%A9%D8%B1%D9%87%20%DA%A9%D9%86%D9%86%D8%AF%D9%87_%D8%AE%D8%B7%20%D9%82%D8%B1%D9%85%D8%B2%D9%87%D8%A7_%D8%B1%D8%A7_%D8%B1%D8%B9%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%AA_%DA%A9%D8%B1%D8%AF
Khatami: Careful examination of the nuclear agreement is required. Interim Tehran Friday Prayer Leader Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami praised President Hassan Rouhani and the negotiating team for their efforts in achieving a deal. The Assembly of Experts member stated that the nuclear agreement is "a major issue and we should wait until it takes its legal course." Khatami stressed that there should be a careful examination of the deal, but urged that it should not become a factional issue. He emphasized the importance of evaluating both the strong and weak points of the deal. He also stated that the Iranian people have a right to shout "Death to America” as long as the U.S. is seen “meddling” with the terrorists in Syria and Yemen. (IRIB) http://www.iribnews.ir/NewsBody.aspx?ID=88935
Expediency Council member warns against Western inspired greed. Ayatollah Ahmad Alam ol Hoda cautioned against Western economic exploitation in the wake of the nuclear deal during his Friday prayer address. The Mashhad Friday Prayer Leader claimed that “the arrival of Europeans…who intend to flood us with junk goods does not lead to a resistance economy.” Alam ol Hoda further claimed that “our enemy has trained us in greed in ways that we do not even understand.” Alam ol Hoda also described “thoughtlessly laying out the red carpet for [Europe] in hopes of an economic boom” as a “disaster.” (Mehr News)http://www.mehrnews.com/news/2871467/%D8%AF%D8%B4%D9%85%D9%86%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8%AF%DB%8C%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B2-%DA%86%D8%B4%D9%85-%D8%B7%D9%85%D8%B9-%D8%A8%D9%87-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B2%D8%A7%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%85%D8%B1%D9%88%D8%B2-%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%86%D8%AF
Tehran condemns violent attacks by Israeli settlers. Marzieh Afkham censured a July 31 arson attack in the occupied West Bank by Israeli settlers. The Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman stated, “This incident is another obvious sign of the occupying and terrorist nature of the Zionist regime [Israel] as well as the violence institutionalized within the society and policies of this aggressive regime.” (MFA)http://mfa.ir/index.aspx?siteid=1&fkeyid=&siteid=1&fkeyid=&siteid=1&pageid=176&newsview=351565
- AEOI announces the construction of two nuclear power plants off the coast of the Persian Gulf.Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Deputy Mohammad Ahmadian unveiled plans to construct two 100MW nuclear reactors along the coast of Sistan va Baluchistan province, which borders the Persian Gulf. (Fars News Agency) (E)http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13940508000656
Rouhani: Iran must focus on developing its economic exports. President Hassan Rouhani emphasized the necessity of continuing structural reforms and fighting corruption in a session with the Committee on Coordination for Resistance Economy. He requested that the country’s officials provide the necessary conditions for attracting foreign and domestic investment and developing export-oriented production. Rouhani also gave reports summarizing business and transit problems and strengthening certain regions for more investment and production. (ISNA)http://isna.ir/fa/news/94050904783/%D8%B1%D8%A6%DB%8C%D8%B3-%D8%AC%D9%85%D9%87%D9%88%D8%B1-%D8%B4%D8%B1%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B7-%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B2%D9%85-%D8%A8%D8%B1%D8%A7%DB%8C-%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%AA%D9%81%D8%A7%D8%AF%D9%87-%D8%A7%D8%B2-%D9%81%D8%B1%D8%B5%D8%AA
Tehran and Kiev to hold economic talks in September. The Ukrainian Ministry of Energy and Coal Industry’s Department for European Integration Head Mykhailo Bno-Airiian announced that Iran-Ukraine economic talks are set for September 15. This will mark the first occasion in ten years that both countries will meet to discuss economic cooperation. (Tasnim News Agency) (E)http://www.tasnimnews.com/english/Home/Single/815016
The United Kingdom removes two Iranian companies from sanctions list. The U.K. Treasury released a statement announcing that Petropars Aria Kish Operation and Management (POMC) and Petropars Resources Engineering Kish (PRE) have been removed the list of entities subjected to sanctions. The U.K. Treasury added that the companies had successfully applied to have their sanctions annulled by the General Court of the EU and the time to appeal the ruling had expired. Both companies operate in the oil, gas, and petrochemical sectors. (Press TV) (E) http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/07/30/422583/iran-sanctions-list-uk-petropars-eu
- Shell and Eni looking to return to Iran. Royal Dutch Shell Company and Italy’s Eni stated their interest in returning to Iran. However, there is no timetable for the return, with Shell's Chief Financial Officer Simon Henry stating that the process is "not going to be easy, it will take time." (Press TV) (E)http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2015/07/31/422663/iran-shell-eni-oil-gas-sanctions
- AEOI Head to Parliament: JCPOA is not an international agreement. In response to Parliament’s request that the JCPOA be “approved” in Parliament as “an international agreement,” AEOI Head Ali Akbar Salehi stated, “This text [of the JCPOA] is not yet considered an international agreement, convention, or treaty, and thus…has been called a comprehensive program of joint action; yet, in any case, the Foreign Ministry has been in charge of this area and must decide in this regard.” (Entekhab)http://www.entekhab.ir/fa/news/218109
Military and Security
Russia prepares an advanced missile defense system shipment to Iran. Presidential Aide for Military Technical Cooperation Vladimir Kozhin said Russia is modernizing parts of its S-300 surface-to-air missile defense system and preparing new legal contracts for its delivery to Iran. The Defense Minister IRGC Brig. Gen. Hossein Dehghan called the ban’s removal a sign “of the will of the two countries' political leaders to develop and promote cooperation in all fields.” (IRNA) (E) http://www.irna.ir/en/News/81701696/
- Sayyari: Iranian navy does not need foreign maintenance or repair assistance. Artesh Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari stated, “In terms of maintenance, repair, and operations… Iran’s navy is self-sufficient [and depends] on no foreign country.” (Mehr News) (E) http://en.mehrnews.com/news/108901/No-foreign-equipments-in-Iran-s-navy-...